Danielle Allen's Reviews > I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced

I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced by Nujood Ali

Aug 06, 11

This was a very quick and powerful read! It centered around the poignant subjects of cultural traditions and women's rights. The protagonist fights against the cultural tradition of young marriage (she is 9 or 10 at the time that she is sent to live with her "husband") and makes world headlines by running away from her husband and demanding a divorce through the Yemen court system - not an easy task! Nujood is brave and admirable for standing up for what she wanted in such an oppressive (through American eyes) culture. The only thing that I would criticize this book for is that it felt very one-sided and did not present, really, any of Yemen culture in a positive light except for the judges who granted Nujood her divorce. I would have liked to have had a little more historical background and information about these traditions. The book definitely felt like it had a western agenda. I enjoyed it all the same anyway though, and would recommend it to anyone interested in women's rights.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced.