Jon's Reviews > Animals in Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior

Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin

Apr 09, 08

bookshelves: read-2008
Recommended to Jon by: NPR
Recommended for: Anybody who has a pet or who says they're vegetarian even though they still eat fish
Read in April, 2008

Really a 4.5 star book, but I'll give it five do to the limited nature of the grading system.
This book really changed my perspective on how I view animals (and autistic people!). Unfortunately, kids will be forced to read some waste of time book in high school like Billy Bud or Romeo and Juliet when there are awesome thought provoking books like this. It was fascinating to feel the basic accessibility of this book instead of the normal, overly-verbose, academic prose that would fill this type of book.
I wonder how much of the writing was done by Temple and how much by the co-author. Being autistic, is it even possible for Temple to write an entire book by herself? I have way too many questions now, but that's the whole point to a good science book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animals in Translation.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (last edited Jul 04, 2009 09:32AM) (new)

Mark Bell Yo Jon! Dude!

Those poor enslaved people in High School can read this book on their own time.

The reason to read the classics is to learn to think critically and to develop a love of the language. Limit time on the computer, put the video games down for a while and in addition to hanging out at the mall read a book such as this one.

Mark