Joni Daniels's Reviews > The Girl in the Green Raincoat

The Girl in the Green Raincoat by Laura Lippman

Aug 06, 11

Read in August, 2011

I've read all the Tess Monaghan books and even if this one was slim, I devoured it like all the stories that came before. Lippman's Baltimoe is now mine - so I love it when she tips her hat to local venues that I know - and her descriptions ring true. Baltimore is almost a character in this series - and it changes as the town and the character changes. Tess and Whitney's relationship weaves a strong thread through these books and while Tess's instincts are never exactly 'right on' they aren't far off eiither. Unlike other serial characters (where the pressure of a book a year tends to make the author forget the very things that made the character so interesting), Tess continues to be who is she was in the first volume: a reporter turned investigator with home-town roots, a sense of nostalgia for the past and a desire to create an independent yet ocnnected future. Throw in family, boyfriend, best friend, neighbors, dogs, and now a baby - and she shifts, rather than chnages. So well written, I like that I always can look forward to a TM book. Even when they are slim.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Green Raincoat.