Hikachi's Reviews > Island in the Sea of Time

Island in the Sea of Time by S.M. Stirling

Aug 06, 11

bookshelves: adventure
Read from August 02 to 06, 2011

** spoiler alert ** When a friend suggested this book to me, I have to admit that I sort of attracted by the idea. Yes, I haven't read much stories about time travel. Stranded, maybe, but time travel and stranded. This was my first time.

The first few chapters were engaging, for me. The plot was built in a superbly easy to understand way. A whole Nantucket Island was transported to the 1200 BC. Along with a ship and her crew that was (unfortunately) around the same area.

So they had to survive, okay, and also work on their knowledge about the era, understandable, do adapt, well yeah... Occasional sex out of convenience... Huh what? At first, the sex scene was already made me twitch with uncertainty if I should continue read this book or put it in my half-read list with no definite date when I'll continue it. Anyhow, the first sex scene I encountered was kind of okay, it wasn't explicit or took a whole chapter describing the whole action. But after a few pages, there's another sex scene. And another one, and another one, and another one. Those weren't explicit, yes, but they're really annoying cause it happened without any significant meaning for the story.

Another thing that irked me was the characterization. Bland, black and white much, cardboard-like. The characters were as bad as those written/created by Stephenie Meyer and Cassandra Clare. There's no inner conflict, and the external conflict was kept to minimum. I guess it's because the idea of "how to survive" could be pretty overwhelming for one, and too good to be the main conflict.
The villain was simply pure evil who boasted his evilness, while the good guys are goody two shoes much. Hello?! True to the word "fiction", I believe.

I gave this book 1.7 actually, but since goodreads has no decimals, I had to give it two stars. The only good thing is the idea of time travel and some history research. And also how the author seemed to have done a profound research about bronze age. Otherwise, I don't really recommend it.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Island in the Sea of Time.