Emily's Reviews > Dash & Lily's Book of Dares

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn

Aug 06, 2011

bookshelves: ya-fiction, characters-i-wish-i-knew, love-story
Read in August, 2011

I enjoyed this book a lot. A whole lot. First of all, it was refreshing to read a book set in December with snow on the cover and boots and hats featuring prominently while there during August in North Carolina.

Let me start off my saying that this book could never happen. I'm not saying you couldn't have an anonymous scavenger hunt across the city, but the number of things they did that involved getting keys for locked places and such really, really bends the line of believability. But that's really my only complaint, and it didn't really get in the way of my enjoying the book.

Part of me wanted to say, as I was reading it, that the characters didn't seem realistic. But, truthfully, I saw a lot of myself at age 16 in them, especially in Lily, so I can hardly make that statement. It is refreshing to read about characters who love books and language and a sixteen-year-old boy whose greatest wish (other than world peace) is an Oxford English Dictionary.

I loved the dares, I loved what the characters cared about, I loved Lily's family, and I loved Boomer. Boomer. What a great character. In a book with some great supporting characters, Boomer is the best. My favorite quote in the book is something Dash thinks about Boomer.

Quote: "You restore my faith in humanity. And lately I've been thinking that a guy can do far, far worse than surrounding himself with people who restore his faith in humanity." (p197)

Quote: I was attempting to write the story of my life. It wasn't so much about plot. It was more about character. (p198)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dash & Lily's Book of Dares.