Ruby Tombstone [Uncensored or Else] 's Reviews > Feed

Feed by Mira Grant

I came into this book expecting nothing much more than a trashy, blood-soaked zombie story. I wasn't even really expecting it to be a good one, and I certainly wasn't expecting it to be a well-written one. I am happy to say that "Feed" surpassed all of these expectations. This book is less about zombies and more about people, less about gore and more about the role of truth in media.
The story takes place not too far into the future, and more than twenty years after the outbreak of a disease that results in a world where both the humans and the zombies survive. People have found a way to exist in close proximity to the constant threat of infection, but not necessarily to live in spite of it. Society has adapted to the threat by means of complex security, blood screening and quarantine procedures. What is really interesting to me, is the way in which the media has adapted to favour bloggers over mainstream media channels, and the new breeds of journalists this has produced.
The two lead characters are brother and sister who, while not related by blood, are essentially two halves of the one person. The book did leave somewhat open the reason for this closeness, and I hope that the next instalment of this series will shed further light on their relationship. The one niggling concern that I had was that the book goes into great detail about what changed in the world after the zombie uprising, however the character telling this story was born after the fact. I did wonder how she could possibly have known about all the mundane things that changed before she was born, such as the tensile strength of pantyhose nylon!
Mira Grant writes with humour, heart and intelligence. I found myself jotting down quotes all the way through this book, most centring on the theme of truth - a topic that's near and dear to me. I highly recommend this book. Come for the zombies, stay for a witty exploration of the value of truth, the price we pay for personal security and the meaning of family.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feed.

Quotes Ruby Liked

Mira Grant
“If we didn't fear the truths we didn't hear, we'd lose the need to fear the ones we did.”

Mira Grant
“George, she says it's the truth that matters. We live and die for the chance to maybe tell a little bit of the truth, maybe shame the Devil just a little bit before we go.”

Mira Grant
“...they come to us, these restless dead,
Shrouds woven from the words of men,
With trumpets sounding overhead
(The walls of hope have grown so thin
And all our vaunted innocence
Has withered in this endless frost)
That promise little recompense
For all we risk, for all we've lost...”

Mira Grant
“Behold the power of the truth. When people see its shadow on the wall, they don't want to take the time to look away.”

Mira Grant
“It is what it is. Isn't that how these things always go? They are what they are. We just get to cope.”

Mira Grant
“She told the truth as she saw it, and she died for it. I came along for the ride, and I lived. It wasn't worth it. But it was the truth, and it was what had to happen.”

08/17/2011 page 5
1.0% "I can generally tell by the 1st page whether a book has the potential to be a 4 or 5 star book for me, and this was looking good by sentence 1: "Our story opens where countless stories have ended in the last twenty-six years: with an idiot -- in this case, my brother, Shaun -- deciding it would be a good idea to go out and poke a zombie with a stick to see what happens." I'm IN!"
08/19/2011 page 111
19.0% "Just started reading this a day and a half ago and realised I'd better order the next one in the series. I'm hooked! I came into this book knowing nothing about it, other than "It has zombies." I didn't expect the "bloggers shall inherit the earth" angle, and I love it. Bring on the zombocalypse!"
08/21/2011 page 506
87.0% "ZOMG, this is getting good. I just had to put it down and give my cat a cuddle to ease the tension!"
show 6 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else] Okay. I've been trying not to get myself sucked into whole series right now, but I can't wait any longer. Bring it!

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane Ruby, do you know there's another book with the same title? I wonder which one people were recommending. Did they give you the author as well? I read a book called Feed by T.A. Anderson. It was also a dystopian novel. Really engrossing. You may like the other Feed too, in fact, I recommend it highly. No zombies, but an interesting, disturbing plot.