Jason's Reviews > Still Missing

Still Missing by Chevy Stevens

Jul 02, 12

bookshelves: for-kindle, 2011, reviewed, flames-on-the-side-of-my-face
Read in December, 2011

Hey, I have a recommendation!

Yeah, if anyone’s looking for some really hollow characters who behave in ways that make no freaking sense, plot development that is not even remotely believable, and disastrously bad writing that’s actually kind of funny sometimes...schyea dude! Look no further, because this one has it all. In fact, it even has the bonus of a supposed “twist ending” where the author apparently mistook the word “twist” for “pulled it out of my ass because I couldn’t think of anything better.” It’s entirely possible James Patterson was a consultant for this, and the fact that he isn’t even acknowledged could attest to how busy Stevens was working on her editing.

Seriously, if you want to read a thriller or suspense novel about a twentysomething woman abducted and kept secluded in a structure from which she cannot escape, raped, and forced to bear her abductor’s child, go read Room. If you’ve already read this, loved it, and are perusing the reviews for some other book ideas, I think you’d love James Patterson.

1.0 stars. HIGHEST POSSIBLE RECOMMENDATION!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Missing.

message 1: by David (new)

David Yeah, if anyone’s looking for some really hollow characters who behave in ways that make no freaking sense

Hey, I know those people!

message 2: by Jason (last edited Jul 02, 2012 12:11PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason Me, too. They're the ones who recommended this to me!

message 3: by knig (new)

knig I may be those people.

Jason There's only one person on my GR friends' list that liked it, so hopefully Lou Pendergrast doesn't see this review.

message 5: by Steve (new)

Steve You could go into the Reader Advisory business, Jason. Sounds like you've got the perfect book for those who fit the criteria you listed.

message 6: by s.penkevich (new)

s.penkevich Hollow characters AND bad writing?! Hot damn, I'm in! Said the neck tattooed woman at Walmart.

message 7: by Jason (last edited Jul 03, 2012 03:58AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason aw, steve, we're almost the same person! 'cept i prefer the thigh tattooed ladies of wal-mart.

message 8: by Traveller (new)

Traveller Well, who said it wasn't fun to write scathing reviews? XD

Jason It's very cathartic. :)

message 10: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" This book SUX so bad I can't believe you even finished it. I read about 40 pages and dropped it. A lot of my friends here liked it so I jus' kep' ma mouf shut.

message 11: by Jason (last edited Jul 04, 2012 05:05AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason I wish I could do that (keep my mouth shut). I read it for a book club so I felt like I had to finish. Interestingly enough, though, I am no longer in that book club. Ha!

message 12: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" It's a good to be a FORMER member of a book club with bad taste.

message 13: by Jason (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason Don't you know it.

message 14: by Brad (new) - added it

Brad You know I am going to have to read this now just because you hated it so much, Jason.

message 15: by Jason (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason I would love to know what you think of this, Brad!

Nancy The writing "style" of this book is dreadful. I chuckled when you referenced James Patterson, I feel in the minority most of the time as I shout from the roofstops that he SUCKS. Anywho, I felt I had to offer up the two star rating on this simply because I didn't put it down after 100 pages. Thanks for the laugh!

message 17: by Jason (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason I'm glad you liked it, Nancy. (The review, not the book!)

Jo Ellen Davis I agree...dreadful writing style. Hollow characters.

Trudi haha! alright, alright, I get where you're coming from, but Patterson bad??? If I could put two "authors" on a boat to a deserted island from which they would never return it would be Mr. Jim and his sidekick of doom Dean Koontz.

I love your shelf title: flames on the side of my face. That might be my favorite one yet.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, you really don't like James Patterson.

Susan I agree! How does this book have rave reviews??

Madeline ha! I am glad I suffered through this book in order to read and appreciate this review. So funny, and sadly, so very true.

message 23: by Jason (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason Thanks, Susan and Madeline!

message 24: by Barbie (new) - added it

Barbie not bad....not great....

Grant I don't know what book Jason is talking about. He must have been drunk or he only had the part of his brain on that didn't like anything that he didn't do..... it was a great read

message 26: by Jason (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason Grant wrote: "I don't know what book Jason is talking about. He must have been drunk or he only had the part of his brain on that didn't like anything that he didn't do..... it was a great read"

Reading this book drunk was the ONLY way I could get through it.

message 27: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Jason, you must have some special talent for picking books that rude people love! Do you have any reviews that don't get trolled?

message 28: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Pan Jeez – so much vitriol over hollow characters. In my own experience, we’re all hollow – just empty vessels, filled outside our choosing. It’s wishful thinking to believe otherwise. The reviewer is deluded if he imagines his parents, peers and puppet-masters have imbued him with greater depth of character than Chevy Stevens has done for her own creations. We’re all wholly determined by our chemical, genetic and external influences; it’s just that some people (like the reviewer) prefer to think of themselves as somehow more special. People like him perceive a strength of self will that’s pulling his own strings whereas people like me realize that all the world’s a stage and we are merely players. And for all the difference it makes, it might as well be James Patterson directing.

message 29: by Paquita Maria (new)

Paquita Maria Sanchez Wow, you realize how "not special" you are, unlike everyone else who thinks they are special. That makes you pretty special!

message 30: by Jason (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason Haha, Chevy Stevens's characters have greater depth than real human people, and I'm the delusional one? Holy fuck, I love the Internet so much.

SO MUCH!

message 31: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Pan I'm sorry. You two are right. My reasoning was specious and I went too far trying to make a more subtle philosophical point. It's just that I wanted everyone to know what it felt like to be a real puppet, like me, where someone else compels every move you make! Oh well, I guess only people like [deleted member] can relate.

message 32: by Katie (new)

Katie I usually don't use the 1-star or 5-star ratings to make decisions on what to read, but I find your review utterly believable, and I'm not sure why considering that you are a complete stranger. Perhaps it was the James Patterson reference that resonated with me, but I removed this book from my "to read" list and added "Room" in its place. It's not often that just ONE review compels me to do such things.

message 33: by Jason (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason Well, for what it's worth, I hope you really like Room.

Colette Franky I hated room and am enjoying his one much more - maybe I'm just not as disgusted because I did read room first!

message 35: by Jason (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason Maybe! I definitely had the opposite experience, but I'm no expert at knowing which books rub us the right way and which ones don't. (I only pretend to be.)

message 36: by Katie (new)

Katie I read some excerpts from Room, and ended up removing it from my 'to read'. I just couldn't take the 5 year old voice. Too bad, because the story itself sounds very interesting. So does the unique writing style, but it's not for me.

message 37: by Jason (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason The voice is a turnoff for many. I, personally, am not turned off by the 5 year-old voice so much as I'm turned off by how poorly I've seen it handled. In the case of Room, I thought it was pretty effective, though obviously there'd be many who would disagree.

Kristine Awesome Review!

message 39: by Jason (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason Thank you, Kristine!

message 40: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Collins Wow... I actually enjoyed this book and another from the same author as well. Was it the best book in the world? no. But sheeesh, I must be some backwoods, uneducated dumb ass then. Nothing like you intellectuals. (insert sarcasm all over the damn place)

message 41: by Jason (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason Must be.

message 42: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Convenient when they set you up with the straight line like that, eh?

message 43: by Jason (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason It's no use arguing, really. Like, where in this review or in any of my comments did I say anything about people who like this book being uneducated? I hated this book. I thought it was horrible. Apparently that means the same thing to some people.

message 44: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Peto It's nice to find out there are 1 star Jason reviews with trolls that I somehow missed.

message 45: by Jason (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason Ta da!

Simonne Wish I'd read your review before I downloaded the stupid effen book

message 47: by Jason (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason Are you going to read it anyway? Maybe you'll like it!

Simonne I had downloaded it because I thought it sounded interesting. I normally don't let other people's reviews sway me one way or another but I may have thought twice and saved my self a couple of bucks not to mention wasted time had I read your review first. So yes indeed (or should I say hell, yes) I slogged my way through the damn thing. I have nothing to say. I felt nothing for the characters. I feel ripped off. And I'm on to my next book. (A Casual Vacancy)

message 49: by Jason (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason Ugh. Well I'm sorry you didn't like it but I'm glad you found my opinion to be accurate. (It is redeeming.) I hope you like Rowling's book better!

message 50: by Pavan (new)

Pavan can u suggest me some genuine mystery novels like agatha christie.these books are murkier, influenced by some other books.

« previous 1