Sabrina's Reviews > The Iron Knight

The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa

Feb 24, 14

bookshelves: series-concluded
Read from August 09 to 10, 2011

First, let me say that I really enjoyed the previous installments of this series; so I'm not happy to squash this one down. Maybe I'm in a bad mood lately, or maybe my standards have suddently become impossibly high, but I didn't like this novel.

Brief recap of what this story is about: to be with girl, boy has to acquire a soul. To do so, boy must pass an unspecified test. Girl has to do absolutely nothing in the meantime.

For the first 2/3 I was so bored that I wanted to gouge my eyes off with a spoon.
The book is written in first person, from Ash's POV. Given that now he's kind of depressed, sad, tired, indecisive and generally behaves like an emo, that's not conductive for a lively read.

If you don't know what an "emo" is:

And then he discovers that his ex girlfriend is not dead, but is still pining for him. She's almost as depressed and sad and all-of-the-above as he is.
What a huge pile of depression and sadness. Shall we throw an emo party? (Or is that an oxymoron?)
From that point on, I trudged on just to see her die. Because it was obvious that sooner or later she would, possibly in a coherently sad and depressing way.
(Here I was thinking "if I'm lucky, she's going to cut herself or something")

Well, our depressed and sad characters face a series of pointless and wholly inconsequential challenges. I'm sure there's every sort of metaphorical significance in those, but all the philosophizing is lost on me. I just found these parts unnecessary. Maybe they were needed to give some thickness to the book.

And then Ash comes to the End of the World where he'll prove himself worthy of a soul. We are on chapter 15 out of 24, and you could delete all that's already happened without losing anyhing of the plot's backbone (as detailed in my nice recap).

The trial consists in three rather stupid tests. Sorry, but I'll have to need some spoilers here.
- The first test is (view spoiler); and no one has ever done that before!? Please.
- The second test is (view spoiler); same comment as above.
- The third test is (view spoiler). As this require some insight in the future, it can be confused with the normal course of events. For me, this part was a continuous string of WTFs.

Finally, (view spoiler).

In the meantime, I'm going to pull a certain author down from a very high pedestal.
50 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Knight.

08/09/2011 page 61
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Sans (new)

Sans Well, damn. It sounded so promising too. Great review!

Sabrina I hear you.
This is going to get you teary-eyed. For the wrong reasons.

message 3: by Sans (new)

Sans Nuts. I'm going to cancel my pre-order and pick it up from the library if I get desperate.

Sabrina Do it.

Andria omg, I wished I listened to your warning... And here I was thinking all the hours reading the Iron Fey series would amount to any good...

Sabrina I wish someone had warned me, too. This fourth book has ruined an otherwise good series.
I just hope for the author to begin something entirely new, because this is now spoiled. And for all that's holy, let's also hope she's never going to meddle with male POVs again.

message 7: by Andria (last edited Aug 29, 2011 05:07PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Andria LOL yeah...sorry kind of really PISSED because of the lamest book -ever. I practically ranted on my review of this...piece of sh- oh sorry forgot you can't swear on here. But what ever, 8 hours of my wasted life is okay with me *sarcasm*. Not but seriously, I want to find a trod to Nevernever and rip out Ash's head.

message 8: by Patterson1219 (new)

Patterson1219 Thank you for the warning! Your final spoiler was the deciding factor - WTF??

message 9: by Rheya (new)

Rheya hilarious!!

herhairsonfire Unfortunately, I didn't see your review until AFTER I read the book.

Twilight never seemed so great.

Sabrina This book should have a very big sticker on the front cover (you know, like the ones saying useless things like "Every reader liked this!", "Gazillions copies sold!") with something along these lines:
"Put me down immediately!"
"Read at your own risk."
"Have you already taken your meds today?"

★Ruth★ Totally agree had put the rest of the books on the 'keep and read again' shelf but after finishing this it's ruined the whole series for me and they are going to the second hand book store. I wasn't particularly keen on the end of The iron Queen but it would have been better then this!!!! Maybe if she'd just done a novella instead.

message 13: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy I haven't read this book yet but it is on my Kindle. I will still read it but I just wanted to let you know you did not spoil it for me. You made me laugh! I am afraid you might be funnier than I am. So I guess I have to hate you just a little bit.

message 14: by Kristy (new) - added it

Kristy I seriously disagree with what you said. First off, Julia wrote the trials that Ash had to go through in order to reach the End of the World was indeed required to make the story with a strong backbone. If you think about it, every individual in this world in order to grow up must go through a set of obstacles to be the person they are now, no matter good or bad. The trails in the temple hold a sense of meaning that you have to earn what it takes to be a human and how to overcome problems in life. The trial where all the characters had to face their own evil side was very well written because it illustrated that within every person their biggest enemy is themselves, which is perfectly true. When Ash passed the trials in the temple, he reached the end of the world. That is where he has to face the problem being a human.
1) Climbing mountain and facing animals trying to attack him, he had to learn there are many weakness being human.
2) Remembering past crimes, as a human there are many emotional feelings that are hard to control and once Ash has chosen the path to be human he has to learn to grief, sorrow and pain.
3) Traveling to the future, learn the ultimate death that all humans can not escape.

This book was all about human mortality and what you have to sacrifice in order to have what you want.
P.S Ash ex-girlfriend had to die, it was her destiny if you really read the book you should know!!!!!

Sabrina Well, let's agree to disagree :)

Wafiyah Oh, this review entertains me. I'm reading the book right now, and I'm extremely not eager to read about Ex-Girlfriend.

Nicky I think it was the bad mood ;)

Swiftsea Well, Ariella did simply pop up from no where. No big loss losing her. :P

Steve I really did not like this book. It is amazing that so many other reviews give it 5 stars.

What was really bad was that I was listening to it and my wife came in for a while, listened for a bit to the drivel and walked out.

I should have done the same.

Madara So I'm not the only one thinking of Ash as annoying emo. :D I totally agree to your review. And I totally disaprove of such relationship where one person gives up being himself (and Ash WAS faery, immortal and with magic) just to be with that person... I did not find at least romantic that Ash was ready to everything, just to be with Meghan. It was so pathetic and weak...

message 21: by Grimalkin (new) - added it

Grimalkin i love it. end of.

Mizuki Bottom line: don't bother with the actual book, just hit all the spoilers above and call it a day.

I was very tempted to do just this, but since I haven't read book 3 yet, so let's hold my horse for the time being.

Sabrina I found the first three books to be awesomesauce. Just stop on #3, before all is ruined :)

Mizuki Sabrina wrote: "I found the first three books to be awesomesauce. Just stop on #3, before all is ruined :)"

I don't even like the first two books, and now you mention I should stop at 3, then I will do just this.

Quincy Well it would be weird if ash was just like: omg i love meghan but i can't be with her again, yes, I love break ups!!!
I've never read as if Ash was really depressed, more sad, like also other people would be in his place. I Find the emotions realistic. But maybe the feelings didn't bother me because I was depressed myself a time ago. So yeah. I did like the book. (Also: Julie Kagawa originally did not mean to write this book, it was on request)