Sonny's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling

Aug 06, 11

bookshelves: harry-potter

"Being a sci-fi fantasy geek I am so proud of Rowling for being one of the few writers who actually understand the concept of time travel!

The third installment of the Harry Potter series has to be hands down my most favorite. It looked like Rowling finally got into a good stride and delves into darker themes in Prisoner of Azkaban. We learn about the wizardry prison Azkaban earlier in the series, a horrific place that no wizard has ever escaped from. Well that is.. until Sirius Black, the man responsible for the death of Harry's Parents and the big bad for greater portion of the book. With sights set on Hogwarts presumably after Harry.

Rowling expands her universe by including lot more creatures, myths, and stories and weaves them effortlessly throughout her book. The Dementers certainly seem to be a construct directly from our darkest nightmares, a surreal monster that is brought to life with vivid detail. Azkaban shares the common themes of loyalty, friendship, and love, but also delves into darker themes like fear and revenge.

Overall Prisoner of Azkaban is edgier and darker.. presumably geared toward an older audience. Still manages to be my favorite, and for good reason. "
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.