Namratha's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

Aug 01, 12

bookshelves: childrens-fantasy, ya-lit, adventure, books-i-love-gollum-style, fantasy, mystery, urban-fantasy, pottermania
Read in July, 2009, read count: 3

The movie is releasing in a couple of days and I needed a refresher-course. After all, if I am going to be one of those *p-shaw* *tch*, the-book-was-loads-better-than-the-movie types, then I better get my facts right.

Harry Potter is now a full-fledged teen hero. He has heard ‘The Prophecy’ and has resigned himself to the fact that he will ultimately have a showdown with good ol’Voldy wherein one of them will definitely kick the bucket. All around the wizarding world, the Death-Eaters are wrecking mayhem. Harry, Hermione and Ron are effectively tangled in a rush of hormones and unexpected attractions. And Snape (at his nastiest best), has finally got the much-desired position of 'Defence Against the Dark-Arts' teacher.

Enough to make a normal teenage wizard go barkin’mad.

But Dumbledore, being the supremely cool guardian/ protector/magical Grand Poobah that he is…has decided that it’s time for Harry to know exactly what he’s up against.
Trips into Voldemort’s formative years (courtesy, The Pensieve) reveal that killing the former is not going to be a field-trip. His Mighty Big-Headedness had come up with the idea of ‘Horcruxes’. He had split his soul into six fragments and enclosed them in different objects with the seventh fragment residing in his own body. These objects could be anything, anywhere and to kill Voldemort means having to track them down first and destroy them. Ace villain move, that.

So accompanied by Harry, Dumbledore sets off, on what the latter would call: to pursue the flighty temptress, adventure.

A relatively snappy read, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is engaging. After wading through the onerous 'Order of The Phoenix', things finally seem to be going somewhere. The book is a tribute to the brilliance of Albus Dumbledore and is woven with the usual blend of humour, emotion and unexpected surprises.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Quotes Namratha Liked

J.K. Rowling
“It was, he thought, the difference between being dragged into the arena to face a battle to the death and walking into the arena with your head held high. Some people, perhaps, would say that there was little to choose between the two ways, but Dumbledore knew - and so do I, thought Harry, with a rush of fierce pride, and so did my parents - that there was all the difference in the world.”
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince