Jeremy's Reviews > The Brothers Karamazov

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Jan 08, 14

bookshelves: literary, translated-from-russian, review, the-russians, canon
Read from August 05 to October 01, 2011

It is, of course, intimidating to write a review to attach to a book such as this, a masterpiece wrought by a master. I had read it before in a different translation perhaps fifteen years or so ago, and so it was I began to rediscover many of the ideas that influenced my own ideas. Some books become mirrors looking into mirrors, an abyss on either side, to use the very Karamazovian expression.

Within this novel, there are many levels, and many depths - and I use the word depths in particular. Dostoevsky is inventing the modern, in a number of ways, posing questions and formulating ironies that remain both fresh and so delishisly unresolved today, and are caught up with those kind of absurd notions that so influenced further thinkers and writers, such as Albert Camus.

If it may be intimidating to review, it is sometimes considered intimidating to read. I would argue that is part of its power, and suggest that any reader take their time with this novel. Do not treat it as three thousand roubles to be spent on one night's carouse. Treat it as a gold mine in Siberia.

My review of 'What is Truth' which contains an argument regarding Ivan Karamazov

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brothers Karamazov.

Quotes Jeremy Liked

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“For everyone now strives most of all to seperate his person, wishing to experience the fullness of life within himself, and yet what comes of all his efforts is not the fullness of life, but full suicide, for instead of the fullness of self-definition, they fall into complete isolation.”
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“You're Sappho, I'm Phaon, agreed.
But there's one thing still troubling me:
You don't know your way to the sea.”
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

08/05/2011 page 153
20.0% "A new translation of a book a read over a decade ago (or was it two?)"
08/05/2011 page 153
20.0% "A new translation of a book a read over a decade ago (or was it two?)"
08/07/2011 page 203
24.0% "A new translation of a book a read over a decade ago (or was it two?)"
08/26/2011 page 313
38.0% "Such a beautfiul book, a fine wine to be savoured."
08/26/2011 page 313
38.0% "Such a beautfiul book, a fine wine to be savoured."
show 6 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeremy (last edited Mar 07, 2013 04:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeremy ...let it be known to you that I want to live in my wickedness to the very end. Wickedness is sweet: everyone denounces it, but everyone lives in it, only they all do it on the sly and I do it openly. And for this igenuousness of mine, the wicked ones all attack me.''