Namratha's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Jun 14, 2007

bookshelves: childrens-fantasy, books-i-love, fantasy, journey-within, mystery, ya-lit, pottermania, adventure, children-s, classics, epic-fantasy, tween-time
Read in April, 2015

I was expecting my return trip to Hogwarts to be something of a dampener. I had finished the series and after all, how many more surprises could the first book reveal? The magic must have faded over time and the characters must surely have achieved the status of house-guests who had overstayed their welcome.

Predictably enough, I was wrong.

Returning to the first book in what I can now proudly say is my most favourite series EVER was nothing short of magical. It was enchanting to see how the complex and multifaceted characters of the later books started off as nervous, unsure ickle-firsties.

It was a time for firsts:

a) Ill-treated, neglected 11-year old orphan Harry Potter discovers that he is a wizard - an actual, honest-to-goodness, wand-swishing wizard.
b) There is a magical school called Hogwarts for young witches and wizards like him and at Hogwarts, Harry Potter is a legend and so much more than a small boy who lives in a cupboard under the stairs.
b) He discovers that he had brave parents who loved him dearly and lost their lives to the most powerful dark wizard in existence in a misguided attempt to save their tiny son.
c) It will be the first time that he will meet his soon-to-be best friends Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, not knowing that it would be the start of many unforeseen and memorable adventures for the trio.

For me, the charm lay in reacquainting myself with my favourite cast of characters: the great and twinkly-eyed Headmaster Albus Dumbledore, stern Prof. McGonagall with a staunchly hidden soft-center, quivering Neville Longbottom who is brave enough to stand up to his friends, nasty Draco Malfoy, lovable Hagrid, the irrepressible Fred and George and of course, delightfully detestable Severus Snape.

I also liked the fact that J.K.Rowling carved out a story that was a blend of fantasy and realism. She refused to patronize her young readers. She spoke about death in a manner that doesn't usually finds it's way into a children's book. With minimal sugar-coating, she created a world that was rife with pain, loss and love.

In this book, Harry Potter faces his vile enemy for the very first time with nerve and bravery. He gets his first opportunity to prove that he is more than just a legendary kid with a mysterious past.

The book sets an adequate pace, lays the foundation for future awesomeness and needless to say....the rest is history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

09/28/2016 marked as: read

Janeen-san YOU WRITE THE MOST AWSOMENESS REVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Namratha aww thx, 'Girl-who-leapt-through-time'! :)

Janeen-san TeeHee! Leaping through time would be so cool!