Patrick's Reviews > The Lost Gate

The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card

Sep 16, 11

bookshelves: young-adult
Read from September 14 to 16, 2011

I have mixed feelings on this one. The world set-up and backstory are great. The main character is great in many ways. I predicted a couple of the Norse mythology turns as I read and just enjoyed the creative twists and powers.

Card's consistent predilection for "witty, adolescent (in both senses of the word in this case) sexual banter" is just annoying. I would not recommend this for any teen. The protagonist gets borderline sexually abused at one point, and the story goes back and forth as portraying it as negative or a wistful, positive experience for the boy. There is also a parallel story on another world where the sexuality central to the plot at least makes more sense, but is still not YA in my opinion. The tension revolves around who fathered various children of royalty, who will inherit, etc. There are also a lot of curse words and vulgar language.

From the parallel world, I also thought Queen Bexoi was a classic, slimy power seeker who was very interesting. I liked the real-world plot, except for the 'going to high school to be normal' decisions at the end. I can only shakily buy that Danny wants the experience so bad that he'd try and be a "normal" kid in the face of his reality, and the immediate ultra-confident persona he successfully takes on, telling girls he's looking at their breasts, etc. was weird and unrealistic. All of this bothered me less in the Ender and Shadow series with the facade of super geniuses raised badly to explain witty bad manners, but it's just a constant in Card's characters. They are all intelligent, wordy banterers obsessed with assumed motives of others and sex.

If you've read and liked other Card stuff, you'll probably like this. If not, I think many of my Goodreads friends would find this off-putting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Gate.