Lina's Reviews > The Bitch Posse

The Bitch Posse by Martha O'Connor

Aug 07, 11

bookshelves: what-did-i-just-read, chicklit, adult, girl-power-or-faux-girl-power, guilty-pleasure
Read from August 05 to 06, 2011

I have no idea what to say about this book that will properly say how I feel about it. Did I enjoy it? Yes, but I'm not exactly sure what I got out of it. The Bitch Posse is about three female characters (Cherry, Amy and Rennie) who story fluctuates between their teenage and adult years. They are all haunted by something from their past, which has led them to leave self-destructive and haunted lives into their mid-thirties. This mystery is really the anchor of the book, because it keeps you wondering what exactly is going on and how horrible it could be.

These types of books should frustrate me: the Lifetime: Public School Special Story of three outcast, disenfranchised white girls who party, get high and screw in order to deal with the hard-knock-life of suburbia. Blah. Yet, this book couldn't frustrate me, because nugget of me felt bad for these three girls despite my cynical feelings about their problems.

What saves this novel is that the girls story is interesting no matter what "era" they are in. The writing isn't the best, but there is rawness to it, that makes you want to feel for the girls even when you just wanna scream at they in 1988--to avoid the reality of 2003.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bitch Posse.

08/06/2011 page 251
71.0% "I swallowed this book."