Deborah Ideiosepius's Reviews > Extra Virgin: An Australian Companion to Olives and Olive Oil

Extra Virgin by Karen Reichelt

Aug 05, 11

bookshelves: foodie, non-fiction

This is one of those rare and impressive books that manage to combine both recipes and narrative into a smooth integrity of a book, one can’t read it completely as a recipe book but you can ignore the recipes and read it wholly as narrative.

The introduction of this book talks about the history of olives in Australia. As the first European settlers were almost exclusively English (not, at the time known for their contributions to world cuisine) it was surprising to me to realise that olive trees have been in Australia so long. The introduction talks about the rocky road of olives and olive oil in Australia, industries and the Mediterranean influence on the development of Australian cuisine. It goes on to describe different types of olives and oil production.

It then goes on to showcase a number of Australian Chefs; there background and each contribute some recipes. These recipes are complex and elegant they are more suited to dinner parties or impressing foodie friends than routine dinners. That said, I have really good results from those I have tried.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extra Virgin.