Jennifer's Reviews > The Elephant Whisperer: My Life with the Herd in the African Wild

The Elephant Whisperer by Lawrence Anthony

Aug 16, 11

bookshelves: memoir, non-fiction, animals
Read from August 12 to 15, 2011

I can't say that Anthony made me fall in love with elephants, because I've loved them forever. I can't say that he made me want to visit Africa and see them in the wild, because, well, who doesn't want to do that? I can say that I have spent the afternoon looking at Thula Thula, Anthony's reserve, online and wishing I could go there now. Or next summer.

Lawrence Anthony does not just love elephants, he loves all animals. He shares that love with his reader, recounting both successes and mistakes he has made in the years he has been operating Thula Thula. Some of the mistakes are heart wrenching. Some of life is.

The relationships he develops with the elephants are amazing, and he is quick to point out that they are the whisperers - teaching him to listen and understand. He is a most willing and attentive pupil, though, and I am glad he shared what he has learned with us.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Elephant Whisperer.