Vicky's Reviews > The Masque of the Black Tulip

The Masque of the Black Tulip by Lauren Willig

2044729
Mar 28, 14

bookshelves: own-book, historical-fiction, zz-american-author, setting-england, series-in-progress
Read from March 19 to 27, 2014, read count: 1

I enjoyed this book quite a bit more than the first book in the series, The Secret History of the Pink Carnation.

I was a bit disappointed in the obviousness of the Black Tulip's secret identity. From the moment the character first came onto the scene I knew who they were. Finding out the motives behind the character that was not the Black Tulip was more intriguing then the unmasking of the spy.

I adored Miles and Henrietta. In the greater scheme of the Pink Carnation universe, they are the sidekick characters. They aren't spies, they aren't the most sought after bachelor and bachelorette in London, they're simply the younger sister and the best friend. It's refreshing to see two (relatively) normal people get to have their romance. It was sweet to see their life long friendship turn into something more.

Henrietta was a delight to read - I loved that while she still had some girlish fantasies about love and courtship, she was also mature enough to see that what was right in front of her was real.

I'm still undecided on Eloise - the frame story for the series. Her contemporary story is getting interesting but I don't find it necessary to the overall plot of the series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Masque of the Black Tulip.