Ebookwormy1's Reviews > People

People by Peter Spier

Apr 05, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: kids-preschool, kids-earlyreaderelementary, world

A brilliant idea for it's time, this book is distressingly out of date. One could excuse the use of drawings (Spier's specialty) instead of photographs, but the factual information is problematic. The first page reads:
"We all know there are lots and lots of people in the world-and many millions more each year.
There are over 4,000,000,000 human beings on earth, and if it takes you an hour to read this book, there will be 4,000 more!
By the year 2000, there will be 6,000,000,000 people on earth. If we all joined hands, the line would be 3,805,871 miles long and would stretch 153 times around the equator.
Or sixteen times the distance to the moon. More than 4,000,000,000 people... and no two of them alike!
Each and every one of us different from all the others.
Each one a unique individuals in his or her own right."

It's a lovely concept really, but considering we are over a decade PAST 2000, one longs for an updated version.

If I was the publisher, two alternatives present themselves. For purists, why not issue an anniversary edition with the original drawings and text intact, but the statistics updated? Alternatively, the publisher could find a photojournalist, who has traveled the world and has these images in his stock, to provide the visuals for a new edition. Peter Spier's original text with the updated statistics would introduce this wonderful work to a whole new generation while embracing the visual luxury the upcoming generation is experiencing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read People.