Christina's Reviews > Memoirs of a Geisha

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Jun 13, 07

bookshelves: garage-sale-pile
Recommended for: masochists

this book was the typical depressing story of the submissive-wimpy-asian-girl who always gets screwed at the end. this book reaffirmed in my head why i hate reading these kinds of books (like all the those amy tan books) and will never pick one up again. it always happens, it's a great story, you can't put the damn book down, and in the end the character pisses you off beyond belief because she ALWAYS has to save face or can't dishonor her family or some other BS. i have enough drama in my life, i don't want to need about someone else's.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memoirs of a Geisha.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Christina ha ha! thank you!
i will agree we are certainly fortunate enough not to have to ever endure that sort of mistreatment. this genre of books is always amazing to read UNTIL YOU GET TO THE END. they all end the on the same annoyingly depressing note. it's only serves to piss me off. i won't abuse myself anymore!

message 2: by Marina (last edited Jun 20, 2007 08:04PM) (new)

Marina Keenan Alas, Chiyo pantomime-screws an invading American to put off one suitor, and marries another to be saved from a life of further prostitution in post-bomb Japan! The story is Pretty Woman for the East, and while there is beauty and tradition in the Geishas' sexuality, they only get what Japanese men choose to give them in exchange for a life of sexual servitude. Chiyo must only have written the story down because Geisha consider it impolite to talk with their mouths full; the fact that this book was adapted to a pretty film with cherry blossoms, fans, and zen gardens is kind of sickening, and the fact that the women fight each other to gain ground in the Geisha heirarchy is even worse. I, for one, would not like another, thanks...let the slap-and-tickle be made with sake if Japanese girls will drink it, but don't look at this Jewish American Princess!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I strongly disagree not for the reason that I LOVED this book but because it is not a " typical depressing story of the submissive-wimpy-asian-girl who always gets screwed at the end" But a memoir or a story that was told and it's wonderful. you just missed the opportunity to understand properly what the author wanted to say.