Maggie Olson's Reviews > People of the Book

People of the Book by Geraldine  Brooks

Mar 05, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from February 03 to March 05, 2012

So much for February's book of the month...only 5 days over, not SUPER terrible. :D

I really enjoyed this book!! Of course I picked it not know it had very strong Jewish tones to it. The fact that it did, however, made me love it even more.

The People of the Book follows Hanna Heath, an Australian Jewish book expert. She is given an amazing opportunity to conserve a rare Hebrew Seder(Passover) book, an illuminated Haggadah. In the process of her conservation, she discovers fragments that point to times in the books life, when and where it might have been.

The book jumps between current day Hanna Heath and past owners of the Haggadah. The Muslim librarian who saves it from the Nazis, the Jewish rebel who shelters it, and the Rabbi who rescues it from the fires of the Spanish Inquisition to name a few.

Brooks did a great job of showing the nice peaceful side to the Muslim/Jewish relationship. How the beauty of the book transcends religion and touches us as human beings in a way that begins to bridge the gaps between us.

I enjoyed Hanna Heath immensely. Her strong jaded demeanor and consuming, contagious passion for amazing books made her very dear to me.

This was a good pick. I would recommend it to history lovers, since the premise of the Haggadah and it's survival is based on fact. It was my February book of the month, maybe try it out for yourself on of these months, I'm sure you won't regret it. :D

~Pockets

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read People of the Book.

Quotes Maggie Liked

Geraldine  Brooks
“...The hagaddah came to Sarajevo for a reason. It was here to test us, to see if there were people who could see that what united us was more than what divided us. That to be a human being matters more than to be a Jew or a Muslim, Catholic or Orthodox. p. 361”
Geraldine Brooks, People of the Book

02/29/2012 page 203
55.0% "Yikes, last day of the month and I haven't finished February's book yet. Okay People of the Book, you and I have a date tonight. :D"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Maggie Olson Wow, my third book about Jewish characters/culture in a row. This one was totally on accident too! I sure do love Jewish fiction though so now my hopes are even higher for this book!