Meirav Rath's Reviews > The Night Watch

The Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko

Apr 10, 08

bookshelves: fiction, highly-recomnended
Recommended for: Russophiles, fantasy lovers, vampire books lovers, dark fiction lovers, people who liked the movies
Read in April, 2008

I loved this book. Not just because it was a way-way-way better version of the two movies, but also because it was one of those rare and precious truly novelty fantasy books.

Who'd think Evil'd need a license, that Good was bound to paperwork? The powers, super creatures, spells and potions, all are explained carefully, without pompous drama or pathos sticking to human emotions, wants and conflicts.

The small tidbits of history, biology, Russian life and modern pop culture only add to the list of loveliness that makes this book and the thought behind it so unique and refreshing from all the tacky Hollywood-like 'magicians, werewolves and vampires, oh my!' fiction and movies out there.

The movies do this great plot and writing a great dishonor but they're still fun to watch.

Despite the somewhat unsurprising endings of the last of the book's stories, and the slight sense of disappointment, it's still a good book with great writing, exciting and fascinating plots and a lot of work put into it.

I highly recommend this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Watch.

dateDown_arrow    newest »