Karina's Reviews > Effective Prayer by Russell H. Conwell

Effective Prayer by Russell H. Conwell by Russell H. Conwell

Aug 26, 11

bookshelves: christian, non-fiction, spiritual, distributed-proofreaders
Read in August, 2011

Actually, I'm not reading this particular edition, but I'm making an ebook from an older publication in the public domain and reading it as I go. It was split in three parts:

* Health, Healing and Faith: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/36891
* Praying for Money: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/36899
* Subconscious Religion: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/37143

Some of it struck me a bit superstitious -- probably in that second part, Praying for Money.

Now I'm in the last part, and reading the chapter of the same name -- Subconscious Religion, and I'm finding that I completely disagree, to the point where I gotta wonder what the author was smoking ;)

We are generally moved about by powers and mechanisms beyond our comprehension and are unconsciously working out designs in the making of which we have no consciously important part.

Okay... I guess there are people who think that in this age too; that it's all the genes, or the way you'd been raised, et al. I don't agree; I believe we can choose what we do and become, despite the various influences that we had no control over.

What one does consciously may not represent his real character, but that which he does without meditation or conscious limitation represents the true disposition or tendency of his real nature. Inasmuch as ye are disposed by nature or by second nature to be a good Samaritan or to aid "the least of these," ye have lived a continual good deed for the Master.

Umm, no. I think it's the reverse. What you conciously choose to do, is your real character. If you are disposed naturally/subconciously to these good deeds and do them without thinking about it, it's worthless. It is very much different than if you aren't naturally disposed and instead choose to do them anyway consciously, because you know that's God's will, and you want to obey and serve in this way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Effective Prayer by Russell H. Conwell.