Radhika's Reviews > Murder in Mesopotamia

Murder in Mesopotamia by Agatha Christie

Aug 10, 11

Read in August, 2011, read count: 1

Agatha Christie is an old love and, I believe that I continue to love her because of the impressionable age I started reading her.

I have since grown up in what holds my attention, but time and again, I sub-consciously reach for her book (sometimes ones I've read before) and enjoy it grudgingly, coz it's an old love. One indulges an old flame even if it has diminished in its glory.
These are times when I grit and sigh through the laborious descriptions of scenes, the characters, the dialog style and more specifically Poirot's long winding speeches.

The book is in first person narrative from the Nurse, who is hired by one archaeologist to take care of his wife who he believes is delusional and will need some caring. There were one too many characters (in my opinion) and despite a clear characterization of each, it gets slightly cumbersome to keep track of who is who and where at different points of the narrative.

It takes awhile to get into the novel, but the last few chapters steadily run along and it all comes together in a typical surprise element. It's a clever mystery and if you've read enough of her mysteries, you'd have a fair guess or at least narrow down the suspects.

Good book. Rating it 3.5 (only because of my own difficulty in staying focused)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder in Mesopotamia.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sangeetha (new)

Sangeetha Kodithala Agree with you. Can read Agatha Christie anyday, and without guilt :-)