Marian Willeke's Reviews > The Gospel According to Coco Chanel: Life Lessons from the World's Most Elegant Woman

The Gospel According to Coco Chanel by Karen Karbo

Dec 16, 11

bookshelves: muses, non-fiction
Read from November 28 to December 01, 2011

The title had suggested to me a more biographical nature with insights as to how her work has impacted fashion today, and even perhaps a mindset towards fashion that we can develop based on Chanel's worldview. Honestly, there was some of the last bit, but it was more of the author's gospel according to her opinion of Chanel. I think it was a well rounded view point that was not overwhelmed with bias, but it was still much fluffier and less Chanelian than I had expected. However, once I had realised the actual intent of the book, I found the author's perspective connective to modern day women and very humourous. She gave both the unappealing and appealing sides of Chanel, ending with the summation of the woman herself, which I enjoyed. One major takeaway from this book is that we cannot duplicate Chanel...she is an Unique among us, and we should appreciate that. Also, I absolutely adored the illustrations in this book - fantastic work!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gospel According to Coco Chanel.

12/12/2011 page 61