Ken's Reviews > Stupid White Men & Other Sorry Excuses for the State of the Nation

Stupid White Men & Other Sorry Excuses for the State of the N... by Michael Moore

Jun 13, 2007

liked it
Read in July, 2003

I was prone from the start to give this book a favorable review, because my politics are right there with Moore's. For readers like me, he's preaching to the choir. I found the book alternately entertaining and disturbing as facts, statistics, serious rants and cheeky humor flew off the page. Some passages made me want to jump up and help change the world; others made me feel that it's all too much and that I'll soon be hopelessly watching our nation unravel. I suspect the author's own moods fluctuate in a similar way.

I'm only giving the book 3 stars despite my political and social agreement with the author. The book is frustratingly inconsistent. Moore has a tendency to pinball dizzyingly among fact, conjecture and hyperbole. He whips up his essays into a verbal froth, at times running head-on into generalizations that damaged my trust in him. Specific example: Moore's wholesale depiction of public defenders as inept bumblers, when instead he could have taken a more focused stance on the systemic problems and left the insulting generalization out. It's the equivalent of describing police officers as donut-eating fools. It earns a snicker from some of us, but we get nothing out of it.

Bottom line: Moore has important things to say. Unfortunately, the people who need to hear these things are the ones least likely to read this book. Even if they did read it, the inconsistencies in Moore's tone and authority would likely make the whole work easy to dismiss.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stupid White Men & Other Sorry Excuses for the State of the Nation.

Sharrien Ingham well said!