Mark Wilson's Reviews > The Beach

The Beach by Alex Garland

Aug 05, 11

For a debut novel, this is a great book. Garland has written an exciting and thrilling story. There is not one part of the narrative that is flat and I could have read this in one or two sittings if I hadn't have been savouring it. Garland's writing style is highly readable and intelligent without being pretentious. His characters are well formed and interesting, particularly Richard, who is a more complex character than his on screen persona. There were points where he is a throughly unlikeable person. As I have said, the plot is fast paced and doesn't have any slow, tedious sections. The climax of the book is one of the most thrilling I have read in awhile. I only wish I had read this without having seen the film. I really enjoyed the film (it is amongst my favourites), but whilst reading this, Leonardo DiCaprio's voice kept breaking through and narrating the story, which didn't really work so well for me. Still, this remains one of the best books I have read for a little while. Loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beach.