Seth Courrégé's Reviews > The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness

The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey

Aug 05, 11

bookshelves: nonfiction

While the book did contain a lot of useful financial advice that I will follow, the folksy Christian wisdom of Dave Ramsey is enough to make a person gag. For example, Ramsey asserts that we don't learn enough about financial management in high school or college. Fair statement. However, he dumbs down the statement as follows: "We graduate from school, go out into the world, and get a financial master's degree in D.U.M.B." If you find this sort of statement clever, you will LOVE the book. I do not, so I did not.

In addition to the writing that seems to be geared towards Bible-thumping grandparents, much of the book is overfilled with stories of "The Winners of The Total Money Makeover Challenge." A handful of stories are sufficient to illustrate, to me at least, that the program works. As it stands, the book has around 20, and that is just too damn many. Nearly all of the "Dum Math & Stupid Tax" and "Myths vs Truth" boxes that litter the pages are pulled directly out of the text from pages, even chapters earlier.

To praise the book, I can honestly say that I will be following much of the financial advice, in spite of how hard it is to get through the book, and that I would still recommend it to people who really do need financial advice.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Total Money Makeover.