Christie's Reviews > Fragile Things

Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman

Aug 05, 11

This is one of the hardest books to review that I've come across. A few of these stories are really good, examples being October in the Chair and Sunbird. However, there are several that are just not very well thought out, and several that disturbed me enough to make me wonder if I want to read any more of Gaiman's work. If you believe that God is evil, then you will love The Problem of Susan. If you don't, then this story will seriously make you nauseous--it's one of the most truly perverted things I've ever come across. And if you don't want to know what's in the mind of a person with no scruples of any kind (little girls are his sexual preference, for instance), avoid Treasures and Momentos at all costs. However, if you are a Sherlockian, you will want to borrow this book and read A Study in Emerald--it puts a whole new twist on Doyle's classic story and has an ending you won't see coming!

Overall, I'd recommend checking this one out from a library or borrowing it from a friend--and then skipping most of the stories. If you are wondering if this will be appropriate for a child because of Gaiman's The Graveyard Book and Coraline--the answer is emphatically NO! Many of these stories are filled with explicit sex and foul language, as well as a sort of disrespectful attitude towards everything and everyone. After reading works like The Anansi Boys, which is so filled with positive messages and truly inspired, magical imagery, Fragile Things comes as quite a nasty shock.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fragile Things.