Zero vi Britannia's Reviews > City of Bones

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

M_50x66
New Review
"This is going to suck so hard."
-Clary Fray, City of Bones
(Did she read CoB too?)

"Did three months mean nothing? Did you flip a switch and erase me from your memories?"
-Clair Edwards, Degrassi
(Funny and how I imagine Clary would react to Jace.)

"Do you think that when Michelangelo was painting the Sistine Chapel, he just dipped his dick in a bucket of paint, slapped it around a few times, and said 'There, I'm done'?"
-DevanBlair, Order of the Phoenix movie review

No, he did not. That is what Cassie Clare did, though. Sorry TMI fans, but this book was nothing but a paint-covered dick slap. I actually wrote in the book whenever I came across something that upset me. Do you know how often I write in a book? Never! Do you see what this has done to me?

I used to like this book. I used to adore this series. But now, I've matured since my last review, and I have found new issues with CoB. So here is my new (and somewhat improved review.

Clary
She is useless. In my original review, I made this same point, but I could never quite understand why I felt that way. Clary's problem (as well as the problem of a lot of new-to-a-world characters) is that she is too passive. She's just an observer. From the Silent City scene, the party scene, the Hotel Du Mort Scene, she doesn't do anything but watch the others. And yet, Clare wants us to think of her as some tough, independent "strong woman" character. If slapping people or yelling makes you a "strong" "independent" woman, then Clary is perfect. I really wish she had slapped Alec since he would have hit her back.

My biggest problem with Clary is her relationship with Simon and Jace. Jace treats Simon like $#!+ and yet little miss Clary just lets it happen. Yes, she stands up to Jace a few times. But not forcefully enough, considering her best friend is being insulted. If Clary likes being treated like crap, fine. But don't have your best friend choose between his self-respect or your friendship.

In the hands of a better writer, Clary's lack of a backbone would have been explained as she doesn't want to piss off the people who are trying to find her mother. That's probably true even with Clare. However, we don't get that. Instead, Clary allows everyone to insult her supposed best friend.

Jace
Jace is a @$%^ing @$$hole. I don't give a crap about what "daddy issues" you say he has. Step off that shit. He's an overly-sarcastic-wannabe-deep-arrogant asshole. He constantly belittles Clary (justified) and Simon (not justified). He always has to be sarcastic. It's obvious that we're supposed to love him and sympathize with him, which makes me hate him even more.
He tries to be this deep "to love is to destroy" "don't love me I'm really worthless deep down and this is all a front" type of YA love interest that seem violate every YA book and makes me want to give up on the genre as whole. But damn if J.K. Rowling and others don't make want to hold out. Jace just comes of as a cheap trick to get sympathy points. Stop it!

BTW, was it me or did all these characters seem to talk alike?

Infodumps/Scene Stopping Bits
It's obvious that Clare stole from Lucas, Rowling, and Whedon created this world from her imagination and wants to show it off. But she goes about it such an amateurish way through infodumps. The first one is the scene at the beginning where Jace (die), Alec (swoon), and Isabelle (meh) capture a demon. In a scene eerily similar to the Pensieve interrogation scene in Goblet of Fire, the demon goes on about Valenmort. Blah Blah Blah. We get Jace being sarcastic. Blah Blah Blah. They kill the demon after Clary intervenes. Jace goes on about demon dimensions and other crap.
Any fledgling writer knows that you do not stop an action scene for dialogue, description, or exposition. Yet here we are.
The biggest infodump comes in the form of Lupin's Luke's POV chapter. I read it once.

Similes
Too many and several are awkward, out of place, or complete nonsense:

"...that stuck up around his head like the tendrils of a startled octopus..."
"...tangled together like vines..."
"...through his veins like fire..."
"...like a burned cinder..."
"...as brightly as candle flames..."
"...like blood from an open wound."
And that was just on pages 2 and 3 (mostly on 3 though).

Random POVs
Whenever a writer tells the story from different POVs, he/she usually choose two or three characters. CoB is told from pretty much everyone's POV. Exaggeration, but still, did we need that random scene from Hodge's POV? It seems to be there just for the "cool" factor and to make Hodge seem suspicious. Not only that, but it's cheating at narration, and it wastes page space. But at least Clare doesn't approach Archangel Series (Michael Griffo) levels.

The Hotel Du Mort Scene
Random. Even after I've read the series and know what happens as a result of this scene, it still feels random. This could be another one of Clare's attempts at being J.K. Rowling. She includes some random thing that turns out to be really important. When J.K. Rowling did it, she used (for the most part) SMALL and ONOBTRUSIVE and EASILY MISSED bits not a whole damn chapter

That Scene with Alec and Clary
Everyone who's read this book knows what scene I'm talking about. All I will say is that Clary was in the wrong and that I wish she would tell Jace. Then Alec will have to keep his promise. Although, I'm pretty sure that would violate one of those Accord things.

The Big Reveal
WHAT? WHAT!?!?! Where the hell did that come from? Other than Star Wars, I mean. And what was up with Jace being all loyal and shit to Valenmmort? He left you for half of your life you [expletive]. What loyalty do you have to him? Don't give me that he was Jace's father and he abused him and he--Whatevs.

Valentine
Meh. Not at all scary or creepy or villainous. I didn't even think Voldemort was scary (Bellatrix on the other hand...). Why should I be afraid of Valenmort? I don't care what he did to Jace or how many people he's killed. He's not a good villain. He's just a whiny, self-absorbed, spoiled little brat throwing a tantrum because he didn't get his way...sounds like two people I've read about...hmmm...

Harry Potter
I know writers take inspiration and ideas from other sources (I do it to). However, a writer should use multiple sources and not lift wholesale from a single work.
Valentine=Voldemort
Institute=Leaky Cauldron/Knightbus
Hodge=Wormtail/Dumbledore
Silent Brothers=Dementors
Jocelyn=Narcissa Malfoy
Luke=Lupin/Sirius (Didn't the Draco Trilogy have Sirius and Narcissa hook up?)

And so on. Cassandra Clare, stop trying to be like J.K Rowling! Stop trying to recreate the grayish world that she created(your character suck too much for it to work). You fail.

Random Stuff
How is Clary's mom able to afford a brownstone in New York on being an artist? Yeah, she sold a painting.
Wasn't Clary supposed to be clumsy?
Isn't Clary supposed to like reading? Then why don't I ever see her read?
What the hell was up with Magnus signing his name on Clary's brain? Convince me that it wasn't just a plot convenience.
Clary's art group? Why is it never mentioned?
Jace says that female Shadowhunters have only recently been allowed to fight, yet in the prequels female Shadowhunters fight quite a bit. In fact everyone's upset with Jessamine because she doesn't want to fight. What gives

Clare's Style/Arrangement
Juvenile. Amateurish. Fanfiction. 'Nuff said.
Actually I have more to say. From the first time I read this book, the way it was set up has always bugged the crap out of me. It reads like a TV series. What I mean is that instead of the book flowing together as one cohesive story, it feels like Clare wrote a bunch of scenes that she thought were cool and put them in order. However, it makes the book feel like a sitcom with no continuity (yes, CoB has continuity, but it just doesn't feel like it.)

The Movie
Why? Why? Why does this movie have to be made? Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Lena Heady (Henry VIII and Cersei Lannister) what the hell is wrong with you? Why did you agree to be a part of this? Did the Tudors money run out? Did Game of Thrones cut your salary? What the hell is wrong with you two?

Edit: Wasn't Valentine blond? Isn't Jace blond? How are they going to explain a brunet and a redhead making a blond baby? If anybody out their knows about genetics please explain it to me. Seriously, I'm confused.

That guy playing Magnus? NO. The only Magnus for me is Shannon Kook-Chun from Degrassi. He is perfect as Magnus.

Edit: Okay, I'm starting to warm up to him.
Edit: Seriously? Shannon Kook-Chun actually auditioned, and you motherfuckers turned him down? May Neptune have mercry on your soul.

I want this movie to fail so much. I'm talking Eragon meets Golden Compass levels of fail.

Edit: I actually want this movie to do well, but only because I want to see who they get to play Sebastian/Jonathan.

Edit: Never mind, I'm happy it's failing.

And Jamie Campbell Bower, why are you in every YA movie adaptation? You got Harry Potter and Twilight. I don't care if you barely had any lines. It's not my fault. I'm surprised you weren't in the Hunger Games as well. Don't get any ideas. Is he going to be in the Beautiful Creatures (another movie I hope fails*) next? What about the Divergent movie? Hmmmm? I used to like him, especially in Sweeney Todd, but now? Just stop.

Edit: I'm also starting to warm up to him. Damn.
Edit: Never mind, it's gone now.

And why does every YA book have to be a movie now? If they make a Shatter Me or Enclave movie, I'm done. That being said, I do wish they'd make a Leviathan Series movie Ignore that.
Update: It pains me to say this, but I saw the trailer. And I'm interested in the movie...please help me.

Edit: Actually, there is no edit. I still wish that they would stop
turning every YA novel into a movie. Yes, I am aware of TFIOS and the Maze Runner and the Vampire Academy.

Edit: I just read the movie book, and it looks like they're going to fix a few of the problems. Yay!

Edit: Apparently the edits weren't enough and people hate it.

The Stele
What is it? What are it's limits? We only learn about it in Lost Souls, which wouldn't have happened had Clare not gotten the idea for a Simon-centered story. So she was content with leaving the missing information as is?

Final Words
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

If you're interested in the old review here's the link:

*Thank the gods on high.
Fin.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.

09/26/2011 "I've decided to reread this because I'm a masochist and I want to write a better review." 4 comments
09/26/2011
50.0% "What I've learned so far:
Clary is clumsy (even though I don't recall her ever having clumsy moments)
Simon has siblings (again, I don't remember him mentioning them during the story.)
Jace is an an a-hole (now that I do remember reading about.)
Alec is the only redeeming thing about this book." 2 comments
03/06/2012 page 0
0.0% "What can I say? I like the torture."
03/08/2012 page 0
0.0% ""This fast-paced"--Bullshit!-- "fatastic"--BULLSHIT!--"thriller will keep readers on the edge of their seats"--please see my previous two comments."
03/08/2012 page 0
0.0% ""...Reminiscent of the Harry Potter series"
We all know this!"
03/08/2012 page 0
0.0% ""Strong plot, brilliant heroine, and surrounding cast of intriguing and well-developed side characters."
Are we reading the same book?"
03/08/2012 page 1
0.0% "'I sing of Chaos and eternal Night/Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture dawn/The dark descent, and up to reascend..."
At first, I liked C.C. including bits of lit. But now it just seems like she's trying too hard."
03/08/2012 page 2
0.0% ""...that stuck up around his head like the tendrils of a startled octopus..."
I don't remember, but does C.C. use as many similes here as she does in City of Glass?"
03/08/2012 page 2
0.0% ""THe boys eyes were two bright a green"
If Clare...I mean Clary...is fifty kids behind this kid, how can she see his eyes?"
03/08/2012 page 3
1.0% ""...like a burned cinder...as brightly as candle flames...like blood from an open wound..."
Does Clare get paid by the simile?"
03/08/2012 page 3
1.0% ""...through his veins like fire..."
One more!"
03/08/2012 page 4
1.0% ""...tangled together like vines..."
*sobs*"
03/08/2012 page 4
1.0% "A boy...was handing out free tablets of herbal ecstasy.""
03/08/2012 page 5
1.0% ""But [Clary] was always too shy to talk to anyone but Simon."
Really? I've read four of these books and I haven't noticed."
03/08/2012 page 5
1.0% ""...like a hunting dog on point..."
Yay! More similes!"
03/08/2012 page 6
1.0% ""...like a seperate disembodied heart."
There, there simile. It's not your fault."
03/08/2012 page 6
1.0% ""...like a beacon."
Damn it!"
03/08/2012 page 6
1.0% "Oh, Simon, I love you."
03/08/2012 page 8
2.0% ""...wrapped in white like an angel..."
These simmiles are so annoying, like a toddler having a tantrum."
03/08/2012 page 9
2.0% ""Her smile glittered like poisonous water."
I've never seen poisonous water before so I have no idea how it looks compared to not poisoned water. But I assume that there must be a difference due to C.C.'s simile...okay, not really."
03/08/2012 page 9
2.0% ""His tawny eyes glittered like chipped amber."
My brain hurts like a Cassandra Clare novel."
03/08/2012 page 10
2.0% ""Clary pushed the to the storage room open."
What? Why are you going to a storage room occupied by THREE knife-wielding strangers? You could get hurt, or stabbed...or killed...
Go on, Clary! Be a hero! Show us how a "strong" and "independent" woman handles her stuff!"
03/08/2012 page 10
2.0% ""...like damp seaweed...gleamed like brass...clear as crystal...sharp as a shard of glass..."
Why?"
03/08/2012 page 12
2.0% "'Clary could take no more. She stepped from behind the pillar. "Stop!" she cried. "You can't do this!"
HEAD: Hello, my name is Head. What's yours?
DESK: I'm Desk.
HEAD: It's nice to meet you, Desk."
03/08/2012 page 12
2.0% "Wait...wht are they just standing there talking to her and infodumping like that?"
03/08/2012 page 13
3.0% "'The blue fairy boy...flung himself on Jace. They fell to the ground and rolled together. Clary backed up...and she went down. Rolling over, Clary saw the blue-haired boy sitting on Jace's chest.'
Sometimes, you don't even have to comment on a passage in a book.
Okay, I omitted certain clarifying words, but I had fun."
03/08/2012 page 14
3.0% "Again, why are we infodumping?"
show 2 hidden updates…

Choco Why did you do this to yourself again, you say?

So you can write this review.

Oh, I wish I could LOVE it. You explained the problems with this shitty piece of nothing so well. You are amazing, my friend.

Zero vi Britannia Palice wrote: "Why did you do this to yourself again, you say?

So you can write this review.

*wipes away tear*
Thank you. Now, I'm going to rip into City of Glass. And that one was my favorite.

Choco Haah, yes, please do! DO it!

The Literary Bystander (nxlee) Oh I am in love with this review! I could not stop laughing while reading it. Clearly you deserve something for this. I say, ALL THE AWARDS FOR THIS REVIEW! :D :D

Zero vi Britannia nxlee wrote: "Oh I am in love with this review! I could not stop laughing while reading it. Clearly you deserve something for this. I say, ALL THE AWARDS FOR THIS REVIEW! :D :D"

Thank you!
*Takes dramatic bow*

Zero vi Britannia Ebony wrote: "Great review. The only relationship I cared about in this series was Alec and Magnus - because that's interesting to me, conceptually. An unconfident teenager who falls in love with a seemingly ove..."

Thanks. I only cared about Alec, Magnus, and Simon. I would have cared about Isabelle if she didn't remind me of a bunch of girls I knew and hated.

message 7: by Helen (last edited Apr 02, 2012 05:19AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Helen "5) Other Issues
1. Clary is said to be clumsy, yet when has she ever been clumsy."

The real issue is, why does this sound familiar?
(Which kinda brings a whole new perspective to that cover blurb...)

Great review! Not that it'll stop me from reading it eventually. (I'm some kind of closet intellectual masochist.) But borrowed only. No way am I paying money for this.

message 8: by John (new) - rated it 1 star

John Egbert ASDFGHJKL; HOW HAVE I NOT READ THIS REVIEW BEFORE?! HOWWW?

Not only do I hate them because the heroine always falls in love with them, but they play into the stereotype of guys with tragic pasts. Not all guy with TP's are AH's. Like Yuki Sohma from Fruits Basket: nice, polite, would never treat Clary or Simon the way Jace does.

Just this. THIS. Why couldn't the Yuki become a huge trend in YA? But nooo...we have the Jace, Edward and Patch as the big cliche.

Synesthesia (SPIDERS!) I always thought the Clave was more like the Ministry of Magic. They were such ASSHOLES. UGH. I was rooting for the Downworlders they sucked so much with their magical racism.

Even Kyo was better than most of these YA heroes.

Luckily I haven't rewritten it yet.

message 12: by John (new) - rated it 1 star

Kyo was at least a jerk with a heart of gold. These guys are jerks with hearts of....jerks.

message 13: by John (new) - rated it 1 star

Luckily I haven't rewritten it yet."

Why would you do such a thing?!?!

Zero vi Britannia John wrote: "Zero vi Britannia wrote: "John wrote: "ASDFGHJKL; HOW HAVE I NOT READ THIS REVIEW BEFORE?! HOWWW?

Luckily I haven't rewritten it yet."

Why would you do such a thing?!?!"

I had originally written this review before I had reread COB. Now a bunch of other issues have popped up that I didn't discuss.

Zero vi Britannia John wrote: "ASDFGHJKL; HOW HAVE I NOT READ THIS REVIEW BEFORE?! HOWWW?."

If you're interested there's also a Halo review up.

message 16: by John (new) - rated it 1 star

John Egbert Zero vi Britannia wrote: "John wrote: "Zero vi Britannia wrote: "John wrote: "ASDFGHJKL; HOW HAVE I NOT READ THIS REVIEW BEFORE?! HOWWW?

Luckily I haven't rewritten it yet."

Why would you do such a thing?!?!"

I had..."

lol! I should have expected that, considering this is COB we're talking about here.

message 17: by John (new) - rated it 1 star

John Egbert Zero vi Britannia wrote: "John wrote: "ASDFGHJKL; HOW HAVE I NOT READ THIS REVIEW BEFORE?! HOWWW?."

If you're interested there's also a Halo review up."

There is?! *le search*

Jocelyn Interestingly, about 3), Clare has plagiarised Rowling's Harry Potter series. So, yeah, I don't think she has the brain capacity to actually create her own characters; she can only steal them from others.

Jasmine I love this review. Especially: "Make me care, Clare." And "I'm not saying that Cassandra Clare shouldn't write (although, having read CoFA, she really shouldn't). I'm just saying that her book sucks."

I had a problem with the very first chapter. It sucked. It was terrible, but I kept reading to make a list of all the bad similes and descriptions she used, and boy, are there a lot.

Christina Wilder Reading CoB is like losing your virginity to a 55-year-old hooker. At first, you enjoyed the experience, you paid your money, and then you go about your day. But then the shame kicks in and you regret the entire thing.

Beyond genius.

Zero vi Britannia Christina wrote: "Reading CoB is like losing your virginity to a 55-year-old hooker...
Beyond genius."

Thank you.

Aprille Now I might actually struggle on with this book just so I can read your review.

Zero vi Britannia Aprille Legacy wrote: "Now I might actually struggle on with this book just so I can read your review."

Yay!

Christina Wilder I'm not looking forward to the inevitable fangirling over the movie, which is shooting now.

Tumblr will be almost inhabitable.

Zero vi Britannia Christina wrote: "I'm not looking forward to the inevitable fangirling over the movie, which is shooting now.

Tumblr will be almost inhabitable."

I had to do this after I saw Clare's tumblr page. It made me rage so much I had to stop reading Mockingjay to write the new review.

Christina Wilder I haven't seen Clare's Tumblr page.

I seriously am surprised no one has yelled at me for my review of CoB. That book has serious fans. But hey, it just wasn't for me (shrugs).

Oh, and your final words are a delight. :)

Aprille Oh, I agree with everything you said. Clary was USELESS! She literally did nothing the whole thing! and Luke at the end calling her a warrior woman or something. I snorted and threw the book away. Pathetic.

I didn't like it at all. And the end was just weird. Star Wars anyone?

Christina Wilder Aprille Legacy wrote: "Oh, I agree with everything you said. Clary was USELESS! She literally did nothing the whole thing! and Luke at the end calling her a warrior woman or something. I snorted and threw the book away."

Yeah, I dissed on Clary pretty hard in my review. Arg.

And the end was just weird. Star Wars anyone?

message 29: by Lightning (new) - added it

Lightning -breaks like button-

Natalia wow negative much? Let me have a read of YOUR book

message 31: by Helen (new) - rated it 1 star

Helen I never got the whole "you aren't allowed criticise it if you can't do it better" argument.

Synesthesia (SPIDERS!) Well you'll be able to READ my books when I WRITE THEM! And I won't copy off of a bunch of other better stories either!

message 33: by Helen (new) - rated it 1 star

Helen I can't believe I managed to miss "liking" this review...unless the update is relatively new.

Love the opening quotes.

Zero vi Britannia Helen wrote: "I don't blame the actors though. It pays bills and will give them more exposure than a cable TV show."

I'm not mad at them...sort of.

Zero vi Britannia BTW, is it me or does the CoB movie trailer look like an HP movie trailer?

message 36: by Helen (new) - rated it 1 star

Helen Zero vi Britannia wrote: "BTW, is it me or does the CoB movie trailer look like an HP movie trailer?"

Yeah, it's in similar style.

Also, spoilery much? (To both. Seriously?)

Bella Grace I love you so much. Mwah, mwah, mwah!*

*creep factor should be dismissed

message 38: by Asma (new) - rated it 2 stars

Asma i liked the book well enough, but i agree with A LOT of what was said here. plus this review is damn funneh!!

Zero vi Britannia Asma wrote: "i liked the book well enough, but i agree with A LOT of what was said here. plus this review is damn funneh!!"

Anushka OH FINALLY! Finally someone who hates this series as much as I do.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Natalia wrote: "wow negative much? Let me have a read of YOUR book"

In the name of all the people who loved CoB, I apologize for this repugnant display of imbecility, shit for brains and poor debating skills.
Make that zero debating skills.
And tons of shit. Entire sewer pits worth of shit.
Good review.

Zero vi Britannia Genesis wrote: "Natalia wrote: "wow negative much? Let me have a read of YOUR book"

Thanks. I actually enjoy the series somewhat. It's just that the series contains too many things that bug me.

Tiffany Losco You review is funny. Well I tried reading the first book city of bones, and just couldn't get into it. I hated her writing style. But I did just watch the movie. I really liked the movie, so I guess now I am going to make myself read the rest of her books.

Evaredabook In terms of the genetics, hair colour is controlled by multiple genes, so it's not as simple as brown being dominant to blonde etc. Dark haired individuals might have many alleles that act as contributors (they code for pigment production) but still have some alleles that don't code for pigment production (they would be pretty much masked), so technically they might still have light haired offspring if the kid inherits most of the non-contributors. but it wouldn't be that common.
And I totally agree with your review this book sucks massive balls.

Zero vi Britannia Evaredabook wrote: "In terms of the genetics, hair colour is controlled by multiple genes, so it's not as simple as brown being dominant to blonde etc. Dark haired individuals might have many alleles that act as contr..."

Thanks

Evaredabook Helen wrote: "I never got the whole "you aren't allowed criticise it if you can't do it better" argument.

If only writers were allowed to review books, the site would have 1% of users it has now, if that much."

Amen, sister!

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Evaredabook wrote: "Helen wrote: "I never got the whole "you aren't allowed criticise it if you can't do it better" argument.

Amen, sister! "

It's always amusing how some people factorise lack of arguments by turning them into zero arguments.
For some reason, that mathematical equation makes sense in their head.

Carolyn Hibbs What's up with random descriptions of people (Asian couple, curvy black girl, blonde with an orange tank top)

Those are called token characters who aren't white.

message 49: by Lydiana (new)

Lydiana I hate the series so bad. I watched the movie and something about Clary rubs me the wrong way. I thought I would feel differently when I read the book but boy..I hate her more!!! Ugh..I love Alec and Magnus though ;)

Zero vi Britannia Gia wrote: "..I love Alec and Magnus..."

They are great...except in Lost Souls.

« previous 1