Jake's Reviews > Photoshop CS5: The Missing Manual

1995871
Sep 28, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, women-authors
Read from August 05 to September 28, 2011

Adobe Creative Suite 5 is more than just software. It comprises the tools of an entire craft. I didn’t fully appreciate this until I undertook to learn several of the applications, including Photoshop CS5. At times, using this software has been overwhelming.

Almost as overwhelming is this book, Photoshop CS5: The Missing Manual. I borrowed it from my library for a personal crash course in Photoshop. Thankfully, author Lesa Snider leads with an affable, empathetic writing style. As she explains the hundreds of tools and panels in Photoshop, she keeps in mind her readers’ varying levels of knowledge. She even encourages you to skim or skip sections that likely don’t apply--depending on your specialties.

If you want to make a serious effort at becoming fluent in Photoshop, especially if you intend to use it professionally, I believe this book is worth owning (provided you buy the right edition of Photoshop—that’s CS5 in this case). The book offers not only relevant exercises but lots of reference material you can hope to memorize in one read-through. Again, it's worth owning.

Getting through this book took me a couple of months, even with skimming a few sections that didn’t apply to me. Now I have incorporated a lot of new knowledge and am already applying it in my job. Using this book was a decision I don’t regret.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Photoshop CS5.

08/06/2011 page 30
08/10/2011 page 75
9.0% "My head hurts."
08/11/2011 page 100
12.0% "At times I feel like I'm reading the Old Testament."
08/18/2011 page 177
22.0% "There is hope for me! My photos? That's another matter."
08/18/2011 page 219
27.0% "This is the War and Peace of software manuals."
08/22/2011 page 240
29.0% "I think I can. I think I can."
08/23/2011 page 275
34.0% "Photoshop tools are alternately cool or frightening."
show 13 hidden updates…