Maria's Reviews > A Visit from the Goon Squad

A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

Aug 29, 11

Read from August 24 to 28, 2011

This book starts off well with a chapter told from the perspective of a character with kleptomania which made for interesting reading and drew me in. The next chapter is from the perspective of her former boss who was alluded to in the first chapter. I have to admit it took me a shamefully long time to realize that no two chapters would have the same narrator although all of the stories in the chapters would interlock spreading a web across time and distance.

The two best parts for me were, one:the intimacy and knowledge of music that is displayed in the book. Music in general and as an industry in particular are not things I know much about so I felt like I was getting a glimpse inside through the lenses of the characters, many of whom were profoundly involved with music.

And two: The most wonderful aspect of the books was that Jennifer Egan changed styles as frequently as she changed perspectives. It felt so playful to have each chapter told in a different style, a big risk in what I think of as the increasingly fearful and traditional publishing community. The final two chapters were the most imaginative in my opinion with one being a complete surprise by appropriating a much over-used business tool as a narrative device and the other imagining how we will communicate and connect in the future.

All in all, I didn't love this book as a story but I did love the way it was told.