Amber Stokes's Reviews > The Veil

The Veil by Cory Putman Oakes

Sep 22, 11

Read from September 18 to 22, 2011

For an engaging, enjoyable, and enigmatic Young Adult read, look no farther than Oakes' debut novel, The Veil! You can meet the Annorasi and see that beautiful, terrifying world behind the veil - all while commiserating with Addy who has to deal with some hilarious, awkward, and unique situations. Addy's love for her friends and "family" is admirable, and her humorous commentary on her quirky life following her 17th birthday makes this such a fun read that's easy to relate to for anyone who is experiencing (or remembers) the crazy drama of high school.

And if this book deals with high school angst, of course it must include a super good-looking young man who doesn't even know Addy exists...or so it would seem at first. But everything changes when Addy starts seeing elements of an alternate reality, and soon intense danger (and romance!) abound.

As far as the romance goes, I thought it was super sweet and exciting, but the couple does have extended kissing sessions and ends up in some compromising situations (nothing explicit, though). There are also a few swear words in this book, as well as a reference to homosexuality. Overall, this book is fairly "clean," but I would recommend it for older teens and adults. Parents should use discretion when deciding whether younger readers should pick this book up or not.

That being said, The Veil is quite an intriguing book that promotes sacrificial love for friends and tackles difficult questions regarding identity and prejudice. Not to mention it's also quite entertaining! The climax is resolved a bit too abruptly for my taste, but it certainly makes the reader curious about the sequel.

*With thanks to Susannah Greenberg (publicist) and the author for providing me with a copy of the book in exchange for my honest opinion.*

Note: Since this was an advance copy, some changes might have been made to the final edition which would not be taken into consideration in this review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Veil.

09/22/2011 page 97