branewurms's Reviews > Steam-Powered 2: More Lesbian Steampunk Stories

Steam-Powered 2 by JoSelle Vanderhooft

Dec 16, 11

bookshelves: adult-fiction, queer-fic, short-fiction, sci-fi-fantasy, poc-characters, poc-authors, read-2011
Read in December, 2011

ARC from Alex.

Finished! This was a solid collection, and in many ways seemed more professional than the previous installment, but overall it lacked some of the... idk, the exuberance of the previous and didn't fill me with the same level of squeeful feelings.

There were exceptions, of course - I loved Zen Cho's bittersweet vision of the afterlife with automatons in Terracotta Bride and Alex Dally MacFarlane's story of a young Turkish woman's dilemma as she realizes she has no interest in marriage in Selin That Has Grown in the Desert. I cackled over the hilariously tempestuous love of two moonshine-brewing swamp-dwellers in Fruit Jar Drinkin', Cheatin' Heart Blues by Patty Templeton. Deal by Nicole Kornher-Stace and Amphitrite by S.L. Knapp were also really fun.

There was also In the Heart of Yellow Mountain, by Jaymee Goh, which I really liked but would have loved were it about an antagonistic, on-again-off-again love/hate affair between the two characters instead of... what it was about, but ah well, tastes differ and all that. (I love me some love/hate relationships, okay.)

As for the others, I did enjoy most of them, but they also mostly fell a bit out of my strike range.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steam-Powered 2.