Farrah's Reviews > Haunting Violet

Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey

Aug 05, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, historical-paranormal-romance, own

Haunting Violet is spectacular.
Violet is the daughter of a fraud, who pretends to be a medium for fame and money. She has been her mother's assistant in her trickery since she was nine, having no other choice. If she gave her mother away, she would have no means to support herself. When her mother is invited to the house of a Spiritualist expert, Violet begins seeing ghosts, particularly one named Rowena, who wants her to find her murderer. With the help of Elizabeth, her best friend who happens to be the daughter of a lord, and Colin, her mother's man servant since she took him in as an orphan, Violet investigates the murder of Rowena. This gets her into more trouble, both with humans and spirits.
First of all, the characters are incredible. All of them are rounded, with more than one side and capable of surprising me. Violet's mother is awful. I hated her and was glad that she was out of Violet's life at the end.
Colin is so sweet. I adored him and his mischievousness. He is so perfect for Violet and I loved them together.
When I found out who the murderer was, I was truly shocked. During the entire book, I suspected person after person, but I never suspected the actual murderer.
I also loved that the book didn't focus just on the ghosts. It talked about social classes, particularly Violet's mother's desire so rise in social status, but it wasn't so much that the book seemed vain.
All in all, an incredible book worth several reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haunting Violet.