Beth Dean's Reviews > The Gorgon's Gaze

The Gorgon's Gaze by Julia Golding

Jul 11, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: animals, british-lit, childrens, ya-fiction, mythology
Read from July 04 to 09, 2012

In this book Connie is taken away from Hescombe and everything Society related by a woman called Godiva and she is nothing like the truffles. With a poker self imposed up her arse she can sure suck the fun out of any situation and this particular situaion decides that fun has to be brought TO Connie as she cannot go to it.

Leads me perfectly to Argand, the gorgeous tiny golden dragon that whizzes around and is generally adorable, especially when abandoned (if you have a heart it breaks). Other than that we don't meet that many other creatures apart from wood sprites which were quite clever as they were centuries old and Golding pulled that off well I thought. She didn't overdo them she just subtly mentioned they happened to be as old as Merlin.

Other than this Col and Connie get closer in this book, though I was slightly worried about the way it was turning. As an older reader I assumed that that meant first crush and all that jazz BUT WAIT, be not so quick to assume Beth. Evelyn Lionheart, Connie's aunt is now going out with Col's dad. Yep, if Connie and Col do ever get it together it's gonna be a tad incestuous. Not something I can totally get behind, not a fan of incest myself you see.

Once again though Col and Connie bring it together for another showdown with Kullervo apart from this time Col does save the exposure of mythical creatures. It's all a bit complicated but that's the basics and once again Kullervo skulks off into some unknown dark cave to sulk for a bit and come up with a new cunning plan.

I forgot to mention Col's mother appears in this book as well, as she's companion to the gorgon that would kinda be assumed. She's a mixed up piece of work really, beautiful and all and Col has some real mummy issues he needs to address but she is one craazzzyyy woman. Too linked up with the gorgon to be honest to be a mother, God knows how she could tear herself away for that amount of time it would take!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gorgon's Gaze.

07/08/2012