Amy's Reviews > Anatomy of an Epidemic: Magic Bullets, Psychiatric Drugs, and the Astonishing Rise of Mental Illness in America

Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker

Aug 25, 11

bookshelves: psych, nonfict, didn-t-finish
Read from August 21 to 25, 2011

Many of things I thought I knew about mental illness and drugs are apparently not true. For instance, depressed people do not have lower level of seratonin than the average population. Long term use of many drugs deteriorates a lot of structures in the brain. I feel like I should do more research on these topics, although Whitaker quotes manymanymany sources, there are obviously a lot of folks who disagree with his findings/opinions. He's also a journalist, not a scientist. Lots of stuff to think about, though.

I had to return this book to the library because it had holds. I think I want to find some others on the same subject. Written by scientists, I would prefer. The journalistic tone was a little much for me (one woman who gained 30lbs while on medication "blimped up"... seriously?) I'm also curious what scientists have to say about these issues. Not cherry picked for this book scientists, but scientists writing about their own findings.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anatomy of an Epidemic.

07/09/2013 marked as: didn-t-finish