Meredith's Reviews > Daughter of the Blood

Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop

Aug 05, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, owned

So, I am trying to make my way through some fantasy this summer. I have this whole series on my bookshelf but never finished it. So, this was a re-read, and just as last time, for the first 100 or so pages I was thinking "this is boring, why am I wasting my time" and then all of a sudden, WHOOSH--Bishop sucks you in and I was hooked again.

I have a lot of problems with this world and this book; unlikely that I have any issues that haven't already been covered by other reviewers. I felt that Bishop relied on shock value in regards to the viciously cruel sexuality of this book; especially as it related to children. I honestly think the world didn't need all this over the top awfulness in that sense. The book is really about the men of this world, rather than the women--despite the fact that the heroine of this book is the "Daughter of the Blood" we are never ever let into her POV. Everything we get is from the POV of the men around her (Saetan and his sons), with a little bit of POV for Surreal, though she really doesn't interact with Jaenelle. (I know this changes later on.) But the characters and plot are interesting--and move fast enough--that you really can't stop reading.

The book ends on a hell of a cliffhanger so I wouldn't suggest reading it unless you already have book two at the ready.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of the Blood.