Rebekkila's Reviews > Serpico

Serpico by Peter Maas

Aug 09, 11

bookshelves: award-winning-author, made-into-a-movie, non-fiction, bookcrossing
Read from August 01 to 05, 2011

True story of a New York policeman who fights against the corruption he finds amongst his fellow plainclothesmen in the 1960's. The New York policeman were being paid off by gambling rings to keep their operations in business. The police were taking orders from the criminals. Disgusted by this Frank Serpico tried for two years to get people further up the chain to do something to bring respectability back to the uniform. I am not too surprised by this type of story having grown up with listening to the Detroit news.

Six years ago while waiting with my friend from Charleston,SC to get into Ford Field to watch my beloved Packers destroy the Lions, we saw a car hit a truck and keep driving. About 30 people saw this since the hit was loud. That the driver of the truck got out and started chasing down the car, those of us in line had seen the police lights in the rear window of the car. We all started screaming, "stop it was a cop." and the guy finally saw for himself and stopped running after the car. I could tell my friend was shaken up, but this is what I am used to from Detroit's finest.

I have a great respect for the police, they risk their lives for the public and I believe that they go into the profession with the best of intentions. In this book there were many honest officers, they outnumbered the dirty police but there hands were tied.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Serpico.