EZRead eBookstore's Reviews > The Butterfly's Daughter

The Butterfly's Daughter by Mary Alice Monroe

Aug 05, 2011

bookshelves: amelia-reviews
Read in August, 2011

Traveling can be a great experience for growth by meeting new people and seeing new places. Interestingly, it felt as if I was awarded with these same effects after reading this book. Obviously, Luz benefits the most by traveling back to the roots she never really knew. But, I, as the reader, did not feel the fatigue of days of driving either.

Though I describe the book as a learning experience, I would not say it was didactic enough to compare to a classroom lecture. For one thing, I was anxious to continue the road trip; there was no fear of falling asleep in the backseat.

Admittedly, though I admired how Luz could see the good in people and learned not to judge people as one-dimensional characters, I did find that she was a little too trusting. Yes, her naiveté was suiting to her inexperienced character, but trusting strangers to hitch a ride in the back of her car seemed a tad careless and definitely one lesson that readers should not follow from the book. Lucky for Luz, they were trustworthy people, who enriched her road trip, and no one ended up on the side of the road from a hitchhiking psychopath.

In short, there was more beauty than ugliness in the story. With a story themed around butterflies, how could it not be? The symbolism and imagery of the butterflies painted a background for this novel that complimented the growth for the entire canvas of this story.

- EZRead Staffer, Amelia

Watch the review here: http://vimeo.com/27309000
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Butterfly's Daughter.