Nian's Reviews > Choker

Choker by Elizabeth Woods

Aug 05, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read in August, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Don't let the cover or the blurb fool you. The cover is girly and the blurb foretells a typical story of mean girls versus the nobody and her climb to the popular crowd. Because that's not all there is. Choker is actually quite creepy, dark, suspenseful, and definitely has a refreshing and unique but slightly disturbing plot. However, it's that very plot that will lure you in. And once you get to the end, it is climatic. It is worth the wait. It is worth scrambling through the awkward beginning and somewhat poor characterizations.

The ending contributes much to the reason why the characters of Cara and Zoe aren't as fleshed out as you wanted them to be. I had irritations about that, as the characters seem quite silly and one-dimensional. Especially Cara and Zoe's disturbing relationship. They were too dependent on each other, and as a reader, you didn't quite understand their bond till the big revelation. I would have liked to see more of the mean girls as well, just to establish a concrete relationship between the girls and why the things that happened did. I needed more of an understanding of Cara's background as well because I wasn't sure how psychotic she was or what made her that way. I'm sure these details were neglected or hidden because Woods wanted to shock us all at the end. I was shocked, alright, but I still didn't quite understand the reasoning behind Cara's dual-personality disorder. And is it even a personality disorder? Or just a hallucination thing?

I wouldn't have been so blown away by this if it weren't for the ending. Maybe I'm too gullible, but I really didn't see that one coming. Now that I think about it, I recognized the small clues that Elizabeth Woods had given us a bit earlier on. The details matched up, more or less. But much was left to the imagination as well.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Choker.