Erin's Reviews > The Red Garden

The Red Garden by Alice Hoffman

1975653
Aug 05, 11

Read in August, 2011

Not my favorite book by Hoffman. I am a huge fan of magical realism in books, I love how authors can write a bit of fanciful magic into a realistic book. I think that is how life should be, everyday viewed with a bit of wonder. On this level, The Red Garden delivered. On others, I was left a little wanting more.

The story in this book flows through time like the novel's Eel River, hopping from one generation to the next, with one character being somehow related to another in a previous chapter, whether it is niece, great-grandaughter, etc. Some of the stories I really enjoyed - the story with Johnny Appleseed, and the girl and the "monster" were my two favorites. I am going to say this for those out there who are like me, and can't stand when animals in books die- there are many deaths of beloved animals in this book. One story in particular, reminiscent of the Greyfriar's Bobby, killed me. I couldn't stand it, and I couldn't figure out why Hoffman kept throwing this heartwrenching animal stuff into the book. I also mentioned I was left wanting - the stories were short stories, and by the time you felt connected to a character, their particular story was over. I felt robbed in these instances.

As for recommending it? If you are not a Hoffman fan already, this is not a good one to start with. It is not her best work, in my opinion, and while you can get a sense of her style, it is lacking. If I didn't already like her, I would never have finished this book. I saw glimpses of the Hoffman I liked, but it was not enough.

This book, like The Kitchen House, to me was about love in all its forms, good, bad, ugly. More than anything, that is what I took away. The characters were imperfect, yet they all loved one thing more than anything in the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Garden.