Maria's Reviews > Virtuosity

Read from October 10 to 11, 2011

I recommend Virtuosity.

*****

HOPEFUL.

Virtuosity surprised me in more ways than i expected. It started a little boring but when things picked up, boredom was the last thing on my mind. Martinez wrote beautifully that even a nonclassical-music/violin lover like me could be so entranced by her story.

Carmen is a music prodigy and with that came a not-so-normal childhood. When she met Jeremy, she longed for the simple things: staying out late for a date, going to a jazz bar without sneaking out, liking a boy and him liking her back just because she’s a girl, not a top class violinist. Carmen fought for what she think is right, stood by her choice, and rebelled when choices were taken away from her. What she went through was sad, unfair, but sweet. Jeremy is a complex character. Charming and irritating at the same time. He was so brave because it took guts for him to ask something of Carmen for his dream and for his family.

The twist got me dumbfounded. It was real, hurtful, and unbelievable. Nonetheless, the book ends with a note of hope and full of choices which i love. Virtuosity is about realizing life wrapped around by different kinds of love: selfish, romantic, unconditional. Most of all, it gives the readers the idea on how choices are and will always be in their hands, should they choose to live and to love according to what or who they are.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Virtuosity.

Quotes Maria Liked

Jessica Martinez
“I like the scars because I like the stories. Bravery, stupidity, pain—none of them come free.”
Jessica Martinez, Virtuosity