Lanica's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Aug 07, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, read-in-2011, reviewed, audiobooks
Read from August 04 to 06, 2011

This book was a wonderful look into the lives of blacks in the south in the years before the Civil Rights Movement really took hold. The interaction between the three main characters was beautifully symbiotic. The story was formed around families living in all levels of society in a horribly realistic feeling Jackson, Mississippi.

I thought the writing was excellent, the plot tight and the dialogue realistic. This is an excellent example of 'good writing' and I'd recommend it to many of my friends. Unfortunately, it's a movie coming out this week and people will probably not read the book, choosing to save time by watching it instead. More's the pity.

I can only think of one thing I didn't like and that was the scene with Minny in the bathroom. While it did get me into the correct frame of mind to relate to the characters and I think the bonding was wonderful. The scene was so graphic it almost made me physically sick.

I hate to say that I 'enjoyed' it, but I do feel that I walked away a bit less ignorant of the era.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.