Manda's Reviews > The Year of Pleasures

The Year of Pleasures by Elizabeth Berg

Mar 23, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read in March, 2012

Oh dear, I had such high expectations for this book, which was probably the reason for my disappointment with it. I knew that it was about a woman coming to terms with widowhood, and thought that it must be something along the lines of "Eat, Pray, Love" where there is a structure to the year following a trauma - but of course it isn't that, though that idea is discussed in the book.

I quite resented Betta. I resented her impossibly perfect husband who openly adored her and who constantly brought her loving gifts. I resented her close group of women friends who she had dropped when a man came along, but who dropped everything to catch up with her and support her when she got back in touch with them. I even resented how she moved to a strange town and made five friends so quickly - the realtor, the neighbour and her son, and a guy she met in a coffee shop and his flatmate. I resented how lovely everyone was to her when she wasn't always that lovely back.

Ho hum. Maybe it's just me, in a bad mood.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of Pleasures.