Laura's Reviews > Burnout

1351942
Aug 05, 11

bookshelves: 2011, ya-lit
Read in August, 2011

After attending rehab, Nan reunites with her best friend Seemy and they spend Halloween night getting into trouble. Even though Seemy is clearly bad news, Nan desperately wants some fun in her life and needs a best friend. Nan wakes up on a train in New York City and can't remember where she's been or what she's done. Vrettos traces the story of what Nan remembers and how she tries to piece together the events from the night.

This was a quick read that I couldn't put down until I finished. Nan and her problems are very real and I found her a sympathetic character. Vrettos describes Nan's spotty recollections and efforts to regain her memory really well -- Nan's story unfolded while driving the plot forward in an interesting way.

I usually think epilogues are kind of a lame way to wrap up a story but for Burnout, I really wanted one. Vrettos gives enough hints at what went on with Seemy and Nan but I would have liked a clearer picture of the aftermath.

I'm not sure that I would purchase this for a school collection but it definitely has a place in a public library. Vrettos vividly and effectively describes Nan's experiences with drugs and alcohol. While Nan and Seemy have problems abusing alcohol and drugs, only alcohol use is described in the story.

ARC Provided by... the publisher at ALA 2011 Annual Conference.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burnout.