Jen 's Reviews > Outrage

Outrage by Robert K. Tanenbaum

Aug 05, 11

Read in August, 2011

I usually really enjoy the world of Butch Karp, NYC DA. It's exciting, action-packed, and often morally agonizing. His characters are so memorable, so well-developed, that when I start reading his latest volume I feel like I am reuniting with old friends. The plots in the last several Karp books have been fueled by news stories of Muslim extremists. In the books, these extremists are often the pawns of darker American forces. Conspiracies run deep in Tanenbaum's series. When I picked up Outrage, I thought it might be a continuation of those conspiracy plots, but quickly learned that it was something different. Outrage has two main plot lines: the first involving one of the most gruesome and sadistic women-killers I've ever encountered in fiction; the other a very touching story about Butch Karp's sons learning what it means to be men--both hypothetically in studying for their bar mitvahs, and literally in applying that knowledge to their lives. I enjoyed reading about Giancarlo and Zak. I can't say the same about the sadistic women-killer. I felt compelled to read on, driven to reach the conclusion; but made many unpleasant faces while reading, and when I finished I didn't feel triumphant for making it to the end...I felt sick to my stomach. This is not a book for the faint-hearted.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outrage.