Jasprit's Reviews > Hunting Lila

Hunting Lila by Sarah Alderson

Feb 01, 2012

bookshelves: out-2011, readalong, favourites, read-in-2012, literary-crushes, ya, romance, paranormal
Read from January 25 to 27, 2012 — I own a copy

Initial thoughts;

What just happened? I'm actually left slightly stunned. What a phenomenal book. I absolutely adored alex this book. I need Losing Lila now.

After just reading the first few pages of Hunting Lila I had a gut feeling that this would be a 5 star book. Just like Fated I fell in love with this book in the first few pages. Lila after a near mugging uses her ability; she doesn’t know how but she can move objects with her mind (telekinesis) to scare her muggers, not being able to cope with what’s happened she makes a spur of the moment decision to fly out to California. Where her brother Jack and best friend Alex live she doesn’t tell them anything about why she’s there. But she soon starts suspecting that something’s not quite right with them. Her brother insists on having a complicated alarm system on whilst she’s in the house, he’s discouraging her from moving back to California insisting there’s more “safer places”, he won’t let her go anywhere without telling him first and every time she asks either of them a question about their job, (they work in a special unit in the marine corps) they just distract her with something else. What exactly don’t they want her knowing? Lila soon discovers part of their secret, Lila’s mum was murdered five years ago and they know who did it and they’re not going to stop until they find them. Lila’s distraught she doesn’t want them to get caught up in any of this or get hurt in the process; Jack’s the only family she has left in California and she’s been in love with Alex for as long as she can remember but neither of them take no for an answer.

This book seriously messed with my mind, you’re told so many things, that you end up believing; Demo’s and his group are the ones who killed Lila’s mum, what the sole purpose of the unit is. But during the story so many times your worlds turned upside down, you’re smacked around all over the place with things you would have never seen coming and you’re left not knowing what to believe and who to trust.

And Alderson has done it again with a superb set of characters from overprotective Jack, badass Suki and dreamy Alex *sigh* a lot of my friends had warned me about him; he’s considerate and so dreamy;

“A few minutes later, Alex wandered through in a clean pair of
shorts and bare feet, water still trickling down his neck from his
bristling hair. My stomach did a one-eighty flip as I caught sight
of the ridges of muscle running down his torso. The he pulled on
a t-shirt and I sighed audibly”

He definitely lived up to expectations and will certainly go to the top of my all-time swoon worthy characters. And finally Demo’s group they reminded me a lot of the X-men, I was a huge fan as a kid, and so it was a lot of fun getting to know each member and their abilities. (view spoiler)

Hunting Lila was one heck of a unputdownable read, I was so annoyed that I had to go to work, every spare minute I had I would have this book in my hands; travelling to work, in my lunch break, whilst cooking and then when I didn’t have it I think I was suffering from serious withdrawal symptoms, in the two days I read it, it was on my mind the entire time I just couldn’t get enough. It had me on the edge of my seat, gasping in shock, suffering from serious heart palpitations and at times my fingers were actually trembling in anticipation for more Alex.

In quick succession I have devoured both of Sarah Alderson’s books; she is such a fantastic writer that she has quickly become one of my favourite authors. I will certainly be pouncing on her next set of books Losing Lila and Catching Suki as soon as they come out.

For all you Alex fans Sarah Alderson has said she has written a short story from Alex which will be at the end of Losing Lila so make sure you pre-order your copies!

A big thank you to Sam and Rachel for reading this book with me, without you it probably still would have been sitting on my shelf unread for who knows how long!

Favourite quotes;

“When I said I had no choice about helping you, I meant it. There was no other option because you are the only option. I don't trust anything at the moment. But the one thing I am sure of, the one thing I do trust..." he paused for a fraction of a second, "is the way I feel about you.”

“I felt his other hand sear hot against my cheek. He bent his head, and in a voice that Jack couldn’t hear, said, “When you came down the stairs, and fell into me, that was the moment.” Then his lips pressed against mine.”

“Now my imagination was running wild. Who was she that he was
this anxious about her being near the house – and near me she
hadn’t looked dangerous – slightly kooky, maybe, but the most
dangerous thing about her had been her hair: one flick of that bob
would probably have sliced me in two”

“She sashayed over to him, like a heat-seeking
missile programmed with a new target. I almost expected her to
swing one of her endless legs over his hip and wrap herself around
him like ivy”

17 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunting Lila.

01/26/2012 page 52
16.0% "I physically can't stop myself from reading this book thats just how awesome it is!" 8 comments
01/26/2012 page 162
51.0% "Whoops speed read like a crazy person and I'm already half way through. But it's so good I just can't stop reading!" 3 comments

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

woo! have fun!!

Jasprit Thanks Trin, you rated it 5 stars? I can't believe I put it off for so long! :-/

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm a sucker for the swoon :D

Jasprit Me too, I should really get off goodreads and start reading :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Shoo :)

Jasprit Me too Sam! I don't want to say it so early on but it feels like it might be a 5 star book :)

Jasprit Yep! it's all happening Sam! Can't wait for you to catch up so we can discuss :)

Arlene HA! I remember this book being a fun mind spin. Glad you enjoyed it Jasprit. :)

Jasprit thanks Arlene I can't believe I didn't read it sooner!

Jasprit Sam it was simply amazing! If you thought it was good so far it gets even better! Look forward to seeing how you get on :)

♥Rachel♥ Wow you're done Jasprit and 5 stars! I'll be done tonight. Look forward to you review. :)

Wendy Darling Wow, 5 stars! Look forward to your review. :)

Jasprit Thanks Wendy and Rachel, as I enjoyed it so much I'm finding this such a hard review to write :-/

♥Rachel♥ Reviews can be tricky. :(

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I'm sure your review is fabulous, Jasprit, but you lost me at the quote about Alex's abs. How was I supposed to focus on anything after that?!
You cruel woman. :D

Laura Jasprit! You are killing me! An “unputdownable” book—I love that feeling! How am I going to read all these books! Your reviews always make me want to run out and read it now! :D Wonderful review!

Jasprit Haha sorry Maja there was one which would have distracted you a lot more (view spoiler) :)

Thanks Laura, that's exactly the same way I feel about your reviews too! :)

Eunice Great review, Jasprit. So glad you enjoyed this. Seeing those lines about Alex makes me wanna read the book again. I really need Losing Lila now! :DD

Jasprit Thanks Eunice! I know I don't know how I'm going to wait until August! :-(

message 20: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Aw, shucks. I already 'liked' this. :) Great review... sounds like one I need to pick up sooner rather than later!

♥Rachel♥ Excellent review Jasprit! I love all the quotes makes me want to read this all over again! Oh Alex!! :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Oh, my God! *fans self*
Flashing billboard, that sounds about right.

♥Rachel♥ Jasprit wrote: "Haha sorry Maja there was one which would have distracted you a lot more [spoilers removed] :)

Thanks Laura, that's exactly the same way I feel about your reviews too! :)"

Jasprit, I was having palpitations over this scene!

Jasprit Haha thanks everyone. Bonnie you should read this asap I really hope you enjoy it :)

Rachel and Sam you should have seen my book it was totally covered in post its. It was so hard narrowing my quotes down just to these few!

Hopefully well have a lot more scenes to drool over Alex in Losing Lila :)

♥Rachel♥ Lol Jasprit, I thought I was the only one who did that. I always use post it notes to mark spots I may want to quote later, or I want to re-read later. Especially the drool-worthy! ;)

Limonessa Glad you loved it! Nice review.

Jasprit thanks Lisa I think I was one of the last people to read this :-/