Megan's Reviews > Angelfall

Angelfall by Susan Ee

Dec 28, 11

bookshelves: favorites, nook-book, post-apocalyptic, young-adult
Read from December 26 to 27, 2011

Add my positive review to all the others, Angelfall was amazing. This was the best urban fantasy I have read in a very long time. Who knew? Just when it seemed that the genre was dying and new ideas long gone, Susan Ee swept in with this self-published beauty.

As anyone reading this review must already know, Angelfall takes place a few weeks after the apocalypse ~ brought on by angels, no less. Not the chubby, gold-flecked cherubs or the sexy things of badly written YA novels, but egotistical, otherworldly, violent beings. There is mention (but unfortunately no details provided) of worldwide destruction brought on by not only angels but also comets and (if I am remembering properly) natural phenomena such as earthquakes and whatnot. The point is, things went to hell fairly quickly and a large percentage of the human population was wiped out in the process. This is where we meet seventeen year old Penryn, as she struggles to survive the chaos and protect her physically disabled younger sister and mentally unstable mother.

What can I write about Angelfall without just gushing so much praise? Penryn is well written and has a strong voice. In the following book, I would love to see her struggle a little bit, and perhaps have some more character development. Although I loved her character, she is almost too well equipped for the apocalypse. Also, considering how recent doomsday was, it is surprising to me that we don't hear her lament more for her former life. But these are small critiques, and even so this novel remains one of the stronger urban fantasies and post-apocalyptic books I have read. At times this novel is creepy and disturbing (as I lifelong lover of horror, it is hard to creep me out, but this novel did it nicely!) I was surprised quite a few times by turns the novel took.

Currently this Angelfall is available for $0.99 at both Amazon and Barnes and Noble, and I strongly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelfall.

12/26/2011
33.0% ""That's a pretty intimate demand in the angel world. It usually takes dinner, some wine, and sparkling conversation for me to give up my feet." that calls for a witty comeback. "Whatever," I say."
12/27/2011
100.0% "Amazing... review to come"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy Darling Oh you know, I didn't even think about the fact that she wasn't lamenting her former life--you're right, since the attacks happened so recently, she probably would have been thinking of them a bit more.

But you're also right, small critiques when the book is so good!

Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads) Yay!! So glad you liked it :))

message 3: by Sandra (last edited Jan 10, 2012 08:12AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandra Wendy Darling wrote: "Oh you know, I didn't even think about the fact that she wasn't lamenting her former life--you're right, since the attacks happened so recently, she probably would have been thinking of them a bit ..."

I actually felt that part of her personality was so matter-of-factly (that a word?), because of having dealt with the blows in her childhood (mother insane, sister disabled, father gone). I thought that Penryn had learned over time to accept things for what they are and deal with them. That she learned in her youth that lamenting doesn't fix anything. So, this all seemed to add up to me.

There were bits and pieces that might be construed as her lamenting what she lost. Like food. Hot showers and such, but she also seemed to realize that crying over spilled milk doesn't help.