cheryna27's Reviews > Something Borrowed

Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin

Jan 15, 12

bookshelves: own, my-favourite-books
Read from January 07 to 15, 2012

I do not know how to rank this book.

First and foremost, I bought this book out of curiousity since most people were dying to purchase this book at BooksforCharity several months ago. It was as if this book was really a must-buy. I would say the cover played the important role towards my attraction. I was a firm believer that "less-is-more". I also believed that I was not the only person who perceived that. My visits to book stores have proved that most of the pink books were sold out and that left the next buyer with the cover from the movie.

If I would judged the book by only its cover, I would be totally unfair. Let's talk about the language. As a person who only spoke English to those who would want to speak in English (meaning to say that I was not an English speaker), I would give five stars for using a simple and standard English. Well, of course we had to consider certain culture barriers - like how Manhattan and Kuala Lumpur differed in every aspect of the book. But hey, looking at it positively, understanding this book is just like understanding Gossip Girl in a form of writing and in a more matured way.

That left me to the characters. Okay. This was the hardest part to describe. I loved the fact that I was a person who loved antagonist than the protagonist. But I also hated the fact that in this book, the antagonist was a bit shallow. Or should I say, empty headed?

Darcy was in every sense limited her judgment towards beauty, shopping and being a leader. It was like reading Blair Waldorf in a book. But then again, I had always adored leaders. The heroine character, despite how intelligent she was, had skeletons in her closet. I mean, she was smart on paper but a dumb when it came to men. Rachel in my opinion, was a decent girl yet would not get my high five for being a role model character. She was just a plain hypocrite and a coward for me.

So, two stupid girls were chasing for a typical guy and you got a story. I might be too early to judge; so let's read Something Blue so that I'll get a different perspective.

So three stars (for now). We'll see whether that will change:)
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Borrowed.