Maya's Reviews > Dirty Kiss

4201978
Jul 08, 14

bookshelves: hearts
Read from August 05, 2011 to July 05, 2014, read count: 2

07-05-14 Audible Audiobook Version. 4.5 Stars. I liked this book so much more on audio than in print. The subtleties in emotion and humor really came through here unlike when I read the book and I find that I really care for Jae-Min this time around. He came across very cold when I read the book but I was able to get a good feel for his personality while listening to the dialogue. I will say, while Greg Tremblay was a decent narrator, the editing left a good portion of the dialogue feeling stilted and disjointed. It did get better as the book went on but the beginning was pretty rough for me. Now, off to buy the next audobook.

Dirty Kiss by Rhys Ford
3.5 Stars
Reviewed for www.heartsonfirereviews.com

This book started out laugh out loud funny for me. Cole is on a stake out and taking compromising photos of a cheating wife. The wife turned out to be a 70 year old, leather wearing, gun toting woman who is not happy to see Cole taking pictures of her with her female lover. The action never stops from there but unfortunately the laughs do stop. As the blurb states, Cole is looking into the apparent suicide of a married Korean businessman at the Dirty Kiss, a private gay sex club.

Cole is a former cop turned PI after a shooting that killed his lover Rick and almost killed him. The fact that his best friend and partner on the police force was the person who shot Cole and killed Rick and then took his own life is something that hurts as much as the death of Rick and the motive for it still remains a mystery. It has been three years and Cole is still unable to move forward and the emotional scars are deep.

Jae-Min is the first man to stir any interest in Cole sexually or emotionally since Rick was killed but Jae-Min is quite damaged in his own way and isn’t any better equipped to deal with the developing relationship the two men have. At great personal cost, Cole has been out about his sexuality since his late teens. Jae-Min is treated like a pariah by the few family members that know that he is gay and is completely and totally unwilling to come out to his mother and the majority of his family. There is tremendous prejudice in the Korean culture and he knows that he would be considered ‘dead’ by his family.

After the dead bodies have piled up and repeated attempts on both Cole and Jae-Min’s lives, the killer is finally revealed and caught. Where does this leave Cole and Jae? With a very tentative HFN.

I applaud the author for giving us Scarlet and Bobby. It isn’t often that you get such well rounded, interesting supporting characters. Overall I enjoyed this story but I was disappointed by the HFN ending after enduring all of that angst. If you require HEA in your romance, this might not be the story for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dirty Kiss.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Vfields used to be Happy! I would love to read about Bobby getting a HEA. I liked him a lot.

Maya Loved Bobby!